Menu

Accountability Thread 8/23-8/29

This week seems to be getting away from me. We're mostly on track, school-wise, but we have a major schedule change starting next week, and I'm not entirely sure how we'll get everything done. For my own stuff, it seems like I'm capable of doing only one of the following: fixing/eating dinner, exercising, or practicing guitar. I haven't managed to do even 2 of them in the same night this week. (Tonight was snack night in favor of exercise. I had a couple of new potatoes left over from the leftovers I heated for everyone else. And pudding, because I'm nothing if not alliterative. :tongue_smilie: )

• Like 5

Continuing the math discussion. I haven't even allowed myself to look up CLE. Like was said, the wind changes around here every so often. MM is working so we'll leave it be. Just funny how there's always something else around the bend that *might* be better!

Also, all this art talk has me inspired to try to increase my creativity. Dd asked me to draw something the other day and my attempt was no better than hers!!! I think its in me, I just need some training. I can sew, I have a pretty good eye for color. I have been pinning artsy ideas these past couple of days. I'd like to see if I can make my own wall art for our new house.

Critter- nothing like the library to turn around a crummy day! Today is library day for us. No check outs though until after we move. I don't want to loose any library books. So we'll probably be there 2 hours rather than our usual one hour.

Today, dd is going to do her reading lesson at the library. I will probably also let her choose a topic in science, history or geography then I'll grab some books off the library shelves and we'll read through them and discuss. We'll do a math lesson when we get home and call it a day. Have a great weekend everybody!!

• Like 3

We are done for the day!!! I purposely planned a short day for today and i'm so glad I did, because I need it. We got phonics, math, latin quiz, EFTRU, literature, grammar and an abbreviated morning time done. The boys have changed out of their uniforms and are making stop motion videos, lol. I think we're going to order pizza for lunch and watch an episode of Where on Earth is Carmen San Diego? That's still semi-educational right? I need to make copies tomorrow for next week . Also, note to self, don't loan out anymore of our curriculum, unless we're done with it. I loaned a lady in our HS group my copy of FLL and now she won't answer my emails. I also loaned out my copy of SOTW1 and the lady sold it and had to purchase me another one when I needed it back. Ladies, please let's all have a great weekend, we deserve it!!!

• Like 4

Today was a short fun day for us as well, we are going to the park this afternoon and visiting with friends. On the list today:

dd1- did 1/2 a math lesson and a bit of reading aloud- she is still reading Beatrix Potter, which is great to me, wonderful stories and what great vocab to practice

dd2- finished her phonics lesson from yesterday

ds- 2 easy pages MM and BA; spelling

I read aloud to everyone various books. Including in reading was another book to go with our Science of the Seasons studies which then led to the balloon/globe project. Ds even joined in and had fun with it, although it went a bit disastrously, oh well, we all needed baths anyway! We'll see if our globes turn out. We closed the morning with Bravewriter Freewrite on the topic of things we think we shouldn't have to do. I just set the timer for 5 minutes and it went so incredibly well. My 5yo and 2 yr old just drew pictures but the older ones wrote me a nice list and then presented their case (I joined in as well making the case for why I shouldn't have to clean). What a great time! Ds petitioned that he shouldn't have to do chores and dd1 campaigned against writing. Ds was so excited he typed it upped and edited it and made copies to pass out to everyone today! Total success, we will definitely be doing this again!

• Like 3

End of week 5!  I'm going to make a few changes to our work and schedule.  I AM dropping R&S English, I *might* be keeping Classical Composition, but moving 6th grader to Narrative.  6th grader is also moving up from ELTL 4 to level 5.  I dropped Tiner for 4th grader because it is above her comprehension level (so she says).  And I need to add in memory work  and a family read-alouds for all the kids, so I'm trying to figure out how to schedule that throughout the day.  I'm dropping our family school (LDS curriculum I don't like).  And I think that's all the changes I'm going to make this weekend...

• Like 5

School was productive today. DD was saying that math was so easy she didn't even have to think, so I'm considering having her do the chapter review and move on if she passes it. It's fractions anyway, and she covered that pretty thoroughly with the Key to Fractions books a few months ago. Got science, history, literature and spelling and art covered, which was nice. DD really liked reading The Elements by Theodore Gray, and was disappointed when she got to the end of the scheduled reading for the week.

I think this weekend we'll try the first lesson in Bite Size Physics (she keeps asking me why we have a diaper on the bookshelf). It looks like fun. If it's successful, we may work on it once a week or so. I've been really bad about skimping on science in previous years. I'm already considering doing either the history of science or art history (or maybe music history) instead of another round of US or world history next year, to assuage some of my guilt about neglecting those subjects.

So far, I managed to get a little dinner and a little exercise, which is more than I've managed the rest of this week, though I feel kind of like I skimped on both. (Not that skimping on dinner is a bad thing, I generally feel better when I eat less in the evening anyway, but I can't work out on a full stomach, either.) If I hurry, I might be able to squeeze in some guitar practice, if I unplug the electric guitar so it's not so loud. 

I ordered a test prep book (7th grade! Yikes!) because DH is concerned she won't know how to take tests, and I think he wants some validation that all of this work is actually leading to something. I'm thinking of having DD take the CAT or maybe ITBS this year, as a warm up to tests like the PSAT and ACT that are coming up WAY faster than I am ready for.

So: plans for this weekend, Diaper physics, Viking things, math, and maybe some messy art. And cleaning the house and doing laundry and grocery shopping, of course. It just wouldn't be the weekend around here without those.  :lol:

• Like 5

School was productive today. DD was saying that math was so easy she didn't even have to think, so I'm considering having her do the chapter review and move on if she passes it. It's fractions anyway, and she covered that pretty thoroughly with the Key to Fractions books a few months ago. Got science, history, literature and spelling and art covered, which was nice. DD really liked reading The Elements by Theodore Gray, and was disappointed when she got to the end of the scheduled reading for the week.

I think this weekend we'll try the first lesson in Bite Size Physics (she keeps asking me why we have a diaper on the bookshelf). It looks like fun. If it's successful, we may work on it once a week or so. I've been really bad about skimping on science in previous years. I'm already considering doing either the history of science or art history (or maybe music history) instead of another round of US or world history next year, to assuage some of my guilt about neglecting those subjects.

So far, I managed to get a little dinner and a little exercise, which is more than I've managed the rest of this week, though I feel kind of like I skimped on both. (Not that skimping on dinner is a bad thing, I generally feel better when I eat less in the evening anyway, but I can't work out on a full stomach, either.) If I hurry, I might be able to squeeze in some guitar practice, if I unplug the electric guitar so it's not so loud. 

I ordered a test prep book (7th grade! Yikes!) because DH is concerned she won't know how to take tests, and I think he wants some validation that all of this work is actually leading to something. I'm thinking of having DD take the CAT or maybe ITBS this year, as a warm up to tests like the PSAT and ACT that are coming up WAY faster than I am ready for.

So: plans for this weekend, Diaper physics, Viking things, math, and maybe some messy art. And cleaning the house and doing laundry and grocery shopping, of course. It just wouldn't be the weekend around here without those.  :lol:

We've not done the diaper lesson yet, we've been doing the force lessons because I didn't have a diaper on hand, I need to find someone with a baby! We're really enjoying Bite-Size Physics, we've fallen into a routine I rather like and that is doing it 1x a week and then reading a few days(various living books) and 1 day with related video(s). 

Our plans for the weekend- supposed to go to Aerial in the City today, would really like to hit at least the Art Museum while we're there since we just jetted home last time. Dh is working Sunday so I'm planning painting and I'm not sure what else, games, more geography... whatever strikes us oh and cleaning and laundry.

• Like 1

I just re-read my post, it is coherent but barely and I'm sorry my brain isn't fully engaged....

And... we made it to the museum, it was lovely. I didn't realize that they had an exhibit on Asian art and a specific section just on art in Japan, which is fabulous since we are studying Japan now and will next be studying China. We also checked out Modern Art, and various other periods, dh has a fondness for Reniassance art so we tarried there a bit. Lastly we hit Monet and the Impressionist as we are start art appreciation next month with him- coincidentally some books I requested about Monet from the library just came in. I had forgot they had some Monet's at the museum what a great start to our study, to be able to see it in person. The kids were fairly well-behaved, exceptionally so given their ages and the fact that a couple were tired and they left talking about what a good time it was.

Now onto today, I have plans, we'll see what happens :) I forgot ds has some FLL research to do and a bit of fixing to do on our models so he'll be working on that today. I also should be figuring out what games we are going to be doing for our AHG kick-off that I keep putting off but will be tomorrow!

• Like 2