Menu

Dingolfing and Munich Germany

AimeeM

DH is leaving tomorrow on business. He'll be in Dingolfing (I probably butchered that spelling) and then in Munich. 

He will have some downtime while he's there. Anywhere in particular he should see, stop, eat? He'll have some friends there (guys he hasn't seen since they left the US to return home), so he'll have some company, but I know he'll want to explore a little bit, too :)

Munich is fantastic. If he's meeting a friend there, they'll likely take him to a beer garden and feed him humongous pretzels to accompany gigantic glasses of beer. In all liklihood he'll be taken to the Marienplaz, and maybe if there's time out to Olympic Park. Hopefully he'll get to stroll through the English Garden if he needs a break from the crowds. It's such a fun, lively city--hope he has a great time! (next time you should lobby to go with him! ;) )

• Like 2

Munich is fantastic. If he's meeting a friend there, they'll likely take him to a beer garden and feed him humongous pretzels to accompany gigantic glasses of beer. In all liklihood he'll be taken to the Marienplaz, and maybe if there's time out to Olympic Park. Hopefully he'll get to stroll through the English Garden if he needs a break from the crowds. It's such a fun, lively city--hope he has a great time! (next time you should lobby to go with him! ;) )

He'll have several guys that he wants to see, so hopefully they'll keep him busy. 

This might be my way of seeing where we should go if I can score a trip WITH him next time, lol. Two of our three kiddos are still too little for me to comfortably leave for that long... and there's the issue of anyone (other than me) handling The Marvelous Flying Marco for that long, lol.

• Like 1

Yeah my thought was beer.  Beer is good anywhere in Germany.  mmmmm beerrrrr

• Like 1

Yeah my thought was beer.  Beer is good anywhere in Germany.  mmmmm beerrrrr

Well, he does enjoy beer, so he'll have his fill of that at least :P

I hope he can hook up with some of that chocolate one of his guys brought over. For my son's 5th birthday (last year) one of them gave him a stash of the most amazing chocolate I've ever had. We finally found it here (in the USA) at a speciality food store, but now I wonder what other chocolatey secrets Germany is hiding from me.

• Like 1

Well, he does enjoy beer, so he'll have his fill of that at least :p

I hope he can hook up with some of that chocolate one of his guys brought over. For my son's 5th birthday (last year) one of them gave him a stash of the most amazing chocolate I've ever had. We finally found it here (in the USA) at a speciality food store, but now I wonder what other chocolatey secrets Germany is hiding from me.

Which brand is it?

THE place to go for Octoberfest is in Munich.  Hofbrauhaus.  The beers can be quite large.  The "small" is only available until 6.  Tell him the goulash is what he wants to eat.     I mean awesome!  We went there two nights in a row.  (We were only there 2 nights.)  The first night some of us goulash and some had schnitzel.  The second night we all had goulash.

That's all I know.  We got there one day, went to the main square, ate dinner.  Next day went to Neuschwanstein, then back to town and dinner again, sleep.  Then left to go to Manheim where DD was in school.

OH! and he must bring you back chocolate.  DD brought us all our favorite flavors of Ritter Sport.  They are like $1 over there.  I just bought one here,  $4!!

I know he's not going in time for Octoberfest.  But Hofbrauhaus is still great!

Ah...the very best chocolate, marzipan, and nougat is from Niederegger (from northern Germany, but I assume sold all over the country). Ritter is good and cheap but Niederegger is really incredible. It holds a special place in the hearts and stomachs of my every family member, though, so I might be a bit biased. But still, it's hands down the best. Bring an extra suitcase. (sometimes it can be found over here, but it's not too common). :)

I once had one of those mega beer mugs. I wasn't in Munich, but not far. Friends brought me a big mug filled thinking I couldn't drink it. I drank it. I still have the mug. Fun times...

I'm told I once went to a concert in Olympic Park...after drinks at a beer garden...interestingly I have no recollection of it? Yeah...those mugs are BIG. :)

Can he read a little German? Das Deutsche Museum is fantastic - it would be nice if he can read some descriptions. It can easily take half a day or longer just to walk through.

There is the Castle Nymphenburg and the "Stachus" a place of hustle and bustle. Then there is the BMW museum if he is interested in the evolution of car engineering and the Bavarian Opera House - don't know what is presently being performed but I am sure you could find out. :) If he likes to tour churches, I'd recommend the "Alten Peter" (Old St. Peter :) ).

Can he read a little German? Das Deutsche Museum is fantastic - it would be nice if he can read some descriptions. It can easily take half a day or longer just to walk through.

There is the Castle Nymphenburg and the "Stachus" a place of hustle and bustle. Then there is the BMW museum if he is interested in the evolution of car engineering and the Bavarian Opera House - don't know what is presently being performed but I am sure you could find out. :) If he likes to tour churches, I'd recommend the "Alten Peter" (Old St. Peter :) ).

He is very interested in the churches.

The Castle Nymphenburg sounds really neat!

He can't read any German, unfortunately.