Menu

What do you do for an adult who you think might have dyslexia?

I have an adult family member who I think might be dyslexic.  His mother is dyslexic and dyspraxic for sure, but that is probably from being born with the cord wrapped around her neck, not something her son had an issue with.  His mother's mother also had undiagnosed celiac sprue which I believe causes nutrient deficiencies that can cause developmental problems, so his mother had two very significant early neurologic challenges that he didn't face.

I have had him evaluated by a COVD certified optometrist who only found farsightedness.  That is new and his reluctance to read has been going on forever.  I thought he had convergence insufficiency because he seems to read just fine on a computer, just not books.  The doc didn't find it though.

Any advice on what to do next?

You could administer the free Barton pre-test online and see whether he passes. Scottish Rite Learning Centers screen for dyslexia for free or low cost. You could see whether one is nearby and discover whether they will assess adults. You could also hire a neuropsych.

ETA..Check out this link too....http://www.wallacefoundation.org/promos2/Pages/adult-literacy.aspx?&mkwid=sveZrmkIw_dt&pcrid=59390775889&pmt=e&pkw=adult%20literacy%20programs&gclid=CJqa1JL6v8YCFVE7gQod1A8Emg

The farsightedness just showed up at the "turned 45 and became farsighted" time.  He fatigues while reading.  He always has.  He has a difficult graduate degree that he earned in his 20's and never read anything but the notes from class.  He never read the texts and graduated Magna Cum Laude anyway.

If it were the farsightedness, I assumed the reading reluctance would have shown up at the same time, not preceded it by 20+ years.

If he has a graduate degree, why the sudden interest in discovering whether he is dyslexic?  How does he accommodate himself for the lack of reading? I'm curious how dyslexics manage as adults.  I'm confused too.  You are saying he can read anything from a computer screen but not a book?  

So your symptoms so far are crazy gifted and fatigues while reading?  That could just be attention or something totally different.  He could have low thyroid or be bored.  I don't read most books properly, but I get bored.  

Maybe list more symptoms that are making you think dyslexic?  Like the others, we're not getting there from this list. Doing better with screen is a common VSL thing.