Menu

Any recommendations for Algebra, Trig, or PreCalculus?

I am looking for good reference textbooks to supplement Saxon that are really good at explaining the concepts and any corresponding applications and word problems. My son finds that Saxon is not always good at explaining things especially as to the why.

If the resource is engaging and somewhat concise even better!

Any thoughts on Blizter or Foerster Precalculus or others?

AoPS is very good at explaining concepts and it is written directly to the students.  While most use it as a spine, we've found it makes a great supplemental as well.  This is especially the case when combined with their online video lessons.  The videos only cover through Algebra, currently.  I don't know if RR has plans to provide lessons for the higher levels as well. 

Have you considered any other online options for concept elaboration?  While textbooks alone are fine for some, having instructors who elaborate on the textbooks can really help as well.  ds13 went through AoPS Algebra using the text primarily.  Though he did supplement with the videos at times.  Then we moved to Wilson Hill Academy this year for Geometry.  He 'really' enjoyed the live, interactive nature of the course more after doing things primarily solo from a book before.    

• Like 2

Of the two books mentioned in the OP, Blitzer is very computationally oriented.  I find the Foerster Precalculus book does a nice job on the why and with word problems.  Foerster explains things four ways, which I think will help with understanding.  It is at a higher level than Blitzer and Lial, and so may be a bit "harder," but I think it will promote a more thorough understanding.  As dereksurfs said, AoPS is written to the student and so is self explanatory, but it's significantly more challenging than the others.  For someone into pure math, it's a gold mine.  It doesn't, however, have nearly the breadth of applications as Foerster.  FYI, we're planning on using AoPS but I also have Foerster as a second text, for backup and for a broader selection of applied word problems. (I also have Lial, as it was recommended by several on the boards, but, IMO opinion as an applied mathematician, the book does not promote good real-world problem solving skills as some other texts such as Foerster.)

There are a number online videos, many free, and some of which may be engaging to your DC, such as KhanAcademy.org

• Like 4

Any thoughts on those crash course sort of books on precalculus such as the complete idiots guide?

I am trying to find Foerster's used cheap:) We have some AOPS which we love but I was hoping for succinct since he is in school which uses Saxon Advanced Mathematics and it consumes a lot of his time.

Any thoughts on those crash course sort of books on precalculus such as the complete idiots guide?

I am trying to find Foerster's used cheap:) We have some AOPS which we love but I was hoping for succinct since he is in school which uses Saxon Advanced Mathematics and it consumes a lot of his time.

Good explanations and succinct seems like a bit of an oxymoron. If he is doing Saxon, then you just want to have something on hand for when something isn't clear right? Something with better explanations and maybe some extra practice. Lial's is great for that. If you understand Foerster's it could be too, although we found his explanations difficult to understand. It is totally an individual thing. Lial's is cheap to pick up a used copy. See if you can get a copy of Foerster's through the library. Read some explanations in each and see which one he understands better.

I don't think the crash course books offer solid explanations at all. 

• Like 1

Which Lial's to get that has Algebra 2, Trig, and Precal?

Algebra II would be Lial's Intermediate Algebra.

Precalculus (with trig) would be Precalculus.

You can also get College Algebra and Trigonometry separately.