Menu

Curriculum using SOTW 4 - Modern Times

This is my second time through the Story of the World and it's coming to a close. My younger two children (ages 10 & 8) just don't have the knack for history narrations that my oldest (12), who has more of a natural inclination toward the subject, mustered (back when I was more of a dragon mom!), so I'd like to conclude the series in a different way - I want it to be more fun and literature based, since that is what they enjoy most (in addition to any kind of art). I am finally ready to give up the activity guide - it's been a good tool, but due to my perfectionistic tendencies (which my children also have), it has been my master instead of the other way around, so it's time to cut the cord and move on to a new approach.

My question is...what curricula do people enjoy that either use SOTW 4 - Modern Times - as a spine or incorporated into it, preferably in chapter order (I'm kind of a stickler for that)? I have always read the book aloud as we sat on the couch together (which has been great) but since we are going to be in the car more often this coming year, I am thinking of switching to the audio CD. Perhaps that's all we'll do with it, but before I decide that, I'd like to look at the programs that use SOTW (I know they are legion, lol). I am drawn toward unit studies but that might conflict with my allegiance to chronological order. For a while, I've been curious about Diana Waring's curriculum. Also Biblioplan. I'm going to start researching (and digging up all my pinterest pins!), but to save myself some time, I wanted to ask here first...

I have been so thankful for the WTM since it got me started on this path six years ago, but I find myself diverging a lot more now that I have experience, and while still considering myself a classical homeschooler, I want to explore other approaches to that (e.g., Charlotte Mason, Classical Academic Press curricula) and adapt them to what works for our family, as well as being eclectic (e.g., unit studies) rather than striving to adhere to one method (despite having gone off in other directions with math and science - somewhat - along the way).

(I tried TOG once...after getting all fired up at a conference...it was not for us - too intensive/complicated)

I think you mentioned most of the ones that use SOTW. I think Sonlight/Bookshark and MFW use them, but not in order. I think Biblioplan may be the only one.

I made my own plan for next year to include State history in our Modern Times. I am focusing on US history a lot since there are so many important things in the US this time period. I am using SOTW and a U.S. history book as a spine. I will read through these, and I planned different unit studies/rabbit trails throughout the year to fit into these readings. I got living book and literature ideas from TOG and Sonlight, etc. and made a list of those along with any films or projects I wanted to do. I would like to focus on fewer projects with a lot of impact. We will do a state history notebook, a Presidents timeline, some crafts related to frontier living, memory pieces like the Gettysburg Address, etc. I would also like to highlight different inventors and inventions. My unit studies are state history, Civil War, Frontier living, Industrialization, WW1, Roaring Twenties and Great Depression, WW2, Civil Rights, Communisim and the Space Race, and then we will highlight a different decade for a couple of weeks. (We are planning to take a little more than a year.).

I don't know if I will buy the activity book or not, but SOTW 4 is a lot of wars, and I have a younger son combining with us and wanted to do state history, so this is what I came up with. I didn't want to only focus on the depressing things. Next cycle, we are planning to look into TOG.

But I guess I just want to encourage you that you can definitely do your own thing and rabbit trail and plan some fun unit studies if a curriculum doesn't fit your needs exactly.

• Like 1

I like your plan. I may do something similar, also incorporating state(s) study. If you decide to make a detailed list or schedule, let me know :)

I also found this (from Paige, the creator of Elemental Science):

http://elementalblogging.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/SOTW-4-chart.pdf

She used another resource that has long been on my "to try" list:

http://www.classicalhouseoflearning.com/grammar-stage-literature.html#Modern

Thanks.  I am working on planning now.  Right now, I am just making a master list of resources and projects for each unit along with possible field trips, but I tend to plan in 6 week increments throughout the year and edit and choose from the list depending on library availability and schedules.  I am happy to share the master list of resources for you when I finalize it, but it won't be a complete plan.

Wayfarers Modern - a classical/Charlotte Mason curriculum guide

I'm sorry, I'm on my iPad, but check out barefootmeandering.com and there will be a link with a sample and booklist that goes along with it.

ETA: Here is the link for Wayfarers.  Maybe it would be something you're interested in.  I totally get the perfectionist problems and the AG.  I have overwhelmed myself trying to "do History" right.  KWIM?  Wayfarers uses SOTW as the spine (and Diana Waring in later stages I'm pretty sure - my kids are grammar stage) with literature lists that go along with that time period.  There are other things included, but due to the ages of my children, we aren't using them all.  It has really been a nice fit for us.  HTH!

• Like 1

In year one of Biblioplan, SOTW is quite a bit out of order. I don't have my MFW manual handy for year 4 of SOTW, but they mess with the chapter order for SOTW 2-3, but that's because they add other books and change the year plan for year two (starting with Rome). Also for year 4, that's the only year MFW includes the Activity guide. :) I have the feeling they may stick more closely to the chapter order that year if they use the AG, but maybe you could get a good feel by looking at the sample for that year, at the topics for each week, and see how they line up with SOTW 4.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...