Menu

Please help me choose a math book/program for my rising first grader

Hi All,

I'm looking for a good workbook or program to do with my rising first grader over the summer, and I don't know where to start. I've read a lot of reviews of different math programs, but these are geared toward full-time homeschoolers, so they don't entirely apply to my situation. More than that, I personally know very little about math methods or instruction and am basically flying blind here. I haven't a clue which program or method might work best or what the pitfalls might be. So, I will gladly defer to your wisdom. 

Up until now, we haven't done any math enrichment at all beyond everyday conversational math, so my son only has the background he has received at school this year. Go Math! is the program they use, and he's done fine -- not wildly excelling, but plodding along comfortably. He will have finished the kindergarten level of this program by the end of June. 

I would like to find something that will help him keep his skills fresh, fill any gaps that may exist (I keep reading that Go Math! isn't great), and introduce some of the concepts he'll encounter in first grade. I'm open to anything at this point, based on the advice I get. Specifically:

--It doesn't need to be a full-on curriculum. A simple all-in-one workbook would be just fine. (If it is a full curriculum, then it should be one that can easily be modified for use as a supplemental program.)

--As "open and go" as possible. I will be there to provide guidance and support, but I'd rather not have to to do a lot of prep.

--Something that can be worked through in short lessons of 10-15 minutes per day.

--Something that will appeal to a boy who doesn't always have a great attention span. If it's colorful and/or especially engaging, that's probably better. Not a deal-breaker, though! 

Thanks for all your feedback. I'm a complete novice where math instruction is concerned.

http://www.abeka.com/ABekaOnline/BookDescription.aspx?sbn=99384

This is the book that I have used -- 5 times!  (Except we used the older edition.)  I will be buying this one next year for my last child.

I liked this because it is very colorful and (I think) is a faster pace than most kindergarten math books.

I only use the student workbook.  I think it is self-explanatory.  There are a few problems in the book where the instructor is supposed to read something from the teacher's edition.  I didn't want to spend the money on the teacher's edition, so we just skip those problems.  It really isn't very many.

My kids seemed to do well with it.  It is Christian (not sure if that would bother you).

hope this helps

You might check out Miquon (workbooks and Annotation book).

Math Mammoth - teaching is done in the student books.

MEP is a reputable program that is free but for the printing. If it intrigues you, I recommend printing the first set of student pages and lesson pages and then look through then side-by-side.

In MM or MEP I would heavily edit down the problem list, since this is supplemental.

If you want to go another direction, you could order some old Math Kangaroo tests to work through together. They are more like logic problems, with little computation required. Nice for variety.

Thank you all for these very useful suggestions! A couple of days ago my husband saw a Miquon promotional video and thought it seemed great, so we have just ordered that. I see that as more of an ongoing supplement, however, and would still like to find something simpler, like workbook, to use during the summer and as needed during the year. I will check out your suggestions. I am considering the A Beka book that the first poster suggested, which looked great, as well as Singapore math, which I've heard so much about. Now I will look into Math Mammoth, too. MEP I've never heard of it, but I'll go explore . . .

It's great to have this group here for guidance!

• 4 weeks later...

If it doesn't need to be a full curriculum, then we use the grocery store label Home Workbooks Gold Star Edition Puzzles and Games for Math. I just got this for the "fun" math stuff for concepts she gets but needs reinforced. Both of my kids have really enjoyed this as there are tons of little games, lots of coloring, and it is very small and manageable. It's by no means a full curriculum but a great little workbook for summer mornings to keep the brain alive.