Menu

The Old World's Gifts to the New - how to use it?

Mrs. A

I picked up a copy of The Old World's Gifts to the New (for free!) In my library's discard bin a couple years ago. I just recently pulled it off my shelf and I think we're at a point where we can start using it.

So for anyone who has used it will you share what you do? 

Anyone? Maybe my question is too vague. I am looking to know if you use it alone or in conjunction with another history spine? How long does it take to go through? Do you pick and choose sections to include/leave out of your studies based on what period of history you're covering? 

I hadn't heard of the Land of Our Lady series. It looks interesting.

I picked up another free book at the same time when I found OWGTtN on American history called Story of Our Nation. So far I like it, but I have no idea if it takes a balanced view of the whole thing. 

Have you looked into RC History? It has plans that incorporate this resource with others to build a whole year of study of a time period.  They have basic plans for the time periods.  Now they have daily lesson plans for ancient times.  Good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion. I hadn't looked into that before. 

I've used RC History. We seem to be always on the cycle year that isn't ready yet! We're currently using Classically Catholic Memory I use the memory work as an outline of what to study for history etc. We really like FoF,Land of Our Lady. I'll look into Story of Our Nation,since we are doing US History next year.

I was planning to make worksheets for OWGTN and FoF,but I never did. We just read the end of chapter questions and discuss them.

I've used RC History. We seem to be always on the cycle year that isn't ready yet! We're currently using Classically Catholic Memory I use the memory work as an outline of what to study for history etc. We really like FoF,Land of Our Lady. I'll look into Story of Our Nation,since we are doing US History next year.

I was planning to make worksheets for OWGTN and FoF,but I never did. We just read the end of chapter questions and discuss them.

I love the idea of using the memory work to guide your history studies! I'm going to have to think about if we might try that....