Menu

Childcare center forgot to send my child to kindergarten

I just need to vent. I got a call at work yesterday at 10:15 telling me they forgot to take my youngest to kindergarten. I dropped my two kids off at a childcare center that is in a bungalow at their school at 7:10 AM. My youngest attends AM kindergarten that starts at 7:55 and ends at 11:20. A childcare worker walks the kindergarten students to their classrooms at 7:50 while the PM kindergarten students stay in the childcare room until PM kinder starts at 11:15. 

So yesterday one of the workers thought my youngest went to PM kindergarten because she used to take his older brother to PM kinder two years ago. When the childcare director arrived at 10:15, she noticed my youngest was there and has the worker take him to his kindergarten class (which is probably 100 feet away). They called and apologized profusely and basically said there was no excuse. The childcare worker (who is a sweet woman) apologized to my husband and told him how sorry she was and that it was all her fault.  I called the school office and they told me the childcare center went to talk to them to tell them it was their fault and to please remove the tardy, which they did. So we aren't making a big deal out of it, but it is annoying and adds yet another reason as to why I wish I could homeschool.

At first I was thinking NZ kindy which is preschool. While it is a bit worrying they didn't notice straight away I can't see it is that terrible. But I don't understand the tardy thing- my kids are late at least once a week.

The thing that would worry me most is that the school didn't contact you. If one of my kids is late or absent and I haven't contacted them by the time the class register is submitted I will get a phone call from the school office. That way if the kid is actually missing or hiding somewhere a search can be carried out and/or the police contacted. This switches to texts when the kids reach high school but the parents are always informed if a kid isn't there.