Menu

Literature question... books like...

im going to be teaching a literature class for 8 weeks at a co op where for 6 weeks the highschoolers read the book and discuss in class and the last 2 weeks watch a movie of the book.  so far the Narnia series has been done and the boy in striped pajamas has been done.  I was thinking of doing alice in wonderland and having them watch the latest Disney version with johnny depp (so we could discuss the differences), but the movie is a bit odd (not to me lol! but its a highly Christian co op and well, you get my point). I considered doing pride and prejudice, but I was trying to think of any other ideas? it cant be a very long read and anything like Macbeth or Frankenstein would be out for this group for sure. any idea? thanks so much!

Books like, Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, and Pride and Prejudice? I would need a little more definition to the theme, because I don't see what those have in common.

If you're looking for books of quality literature that have good movie adaptations, I would recommend To Kill a Mockingbird.

If you do To Kill a Mocking Bird, you could watch two movies. The first could be Amazing Grace the Movie, about Wiilam Wilberforces, and the one that goes with the movie. The first one to show some of the history of slavery, and then compare how much had changed since then with the book.

Books like, Narnia, Alice in Wonderland, and Pride and Prejudice? I would need a little more definition to the theme, because I don't see what those have in common.

If you're looking for books of quality literature that have good movie adaptations, I would recommend To Kill a Mockingbird.

She's not saying that there is a theme across the movies, just that the class format is book discussion followed by watching the movie.