Menu

hormones and emotions and the brain

athomeontheprairie

I hate that my emotions are touted to my hormones. I love being a kind gentle, patient Mom/wife/person, and I equally hate the swings in emotion that cause me to be short tempered.

I know there are done incredibly smart people on this board (and I'm hoping, some in medicine).

I'd like to read about how hormones effect the mind/emotions and how they make me change. How do hormones change emotions? How do different hormones effect the brain? . can anyone suggest some good reading? Preferably in print, bonus if is readable by a layman, but online articles are fine to.

Also, on a similar topic, brain development in children. When do certain areas of the brain develop? And what do those areas control? HOW do they develop?

Tia!

Oh, Gawd, that's a complicated topic; on top of that, much is unknown. 

I would recommend a good basic scientific book on endocrinology (check the anatomy section of your local college bookstore), if you are scientifically inclined.  I would avoid any pop culture book that did not document their claims with specific research from peer-reviewed journals. 

I hate that my emotions are touted to my hormones. I love being a kind gentle, patient Mom/wife/person, and I equally hate the swings in emotion that cause me to be short tempered.
I know there are done incredibly smart people on this board (and I'm hoping, some in medicine).
I'd like to read about how hormones effect the mind/emotions and how they make me change. How do hormones change emotions? How do different hormones effect the brain? . can anyone suggest some good reading? Preferably in print, bonus if is readable by a layman, but online articles are fine to.
Also, on a similar topic, brain development in children. When do certain areas of the brain develop? And what do those areas control? HOW do they develop?
Tia!

Oh, Gawd, that's a complicated topic; on top of that, much is unknown.

I would recommend a good basic scientific book on endocrinology (check the anatomy section of your local college bookstore), if you are scientifically inclined. I would avoid any pop culture book that did not document their claims with specific research from peer-reviewed journals.

It is a complicated topic. :-)

the nearest real college is over 4 hours away, so I can't really pop in and browse their shelves ykwim? Does anyone else from the hive have specific book suggestions? ( I have a great library system but I need titles)

I am a fairly even tempered person. I rarely get irritable as part of PMS and my pregnancies didn't make me emotional like many women.

Last fall I went on oral progesterone. After two months, I quit because I felt like ripping everyone's head off all the time. The irritability went away in a few days or weeks. Now if I use it, I take a cream at a much, much lower dose and my mood doesn't change.

I know that doesn't answer the "how" of your question but it does show how hormones can affect mood.

Three books that might be helpful:

You: The Owner's Manual, Chapter 10 "This Gland Is Your Gland" by Drs. Roizen and Oz

The Emotional Life of Your Brain by Sharon Begley and Richard Davidson

Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain Dan Siegel

The second -- Davdison's -- is my favorite.

I recently read a book called the 28 Days Lighter Diet:

http://www.amazon.com/28-Days-Lighter-Diet-Emotional-ebook/dp/B00GSDQWMI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1406903483&sr=8-1&keywords=the+28+days+lighter+diet

It's not really a diet book, but more a discussion of how to maximize the different aspects of your cycles. It wasn't so much about how hormones affect the brain, and it's a little too new-agey for my tastes, but there was a lot of valuable information in it. I found it very validating, because I have such awful mood swings thanks to hormones and rarely read anything suggesting that maybe that is real. 

Some of the best advice/validation I found in the book was to go ahead and try to retreat toward the end of your cycle. You are naturally wanting to get away from people, so do what you can to make that happen. Also, embrace your more vocal nature during the week before your period. Speak your mind now, because you know you want to!

The book also suggests resting as much as possible on the first and second days of your period. I can't even begin to tell you how good it felt to read that. I always feel like a failure when I can barely manage to life my head off the pillow when I get my period. It seems like other women have no problem managing, so why can't I just get going? One of the authors is a popular fitness instructor, and she strongly recommends not exercising on the first day at all.

There are a lot of nutrition tips and suggested yoga poses throughout the book. I can't say I'm following them all, and I may need to go back and study it a bit more. But I found the book to be really freeing, and it's already helped reduce my anxiety and frustration surrounding PMS by simply validating my symptoms and saying it's okay to take it easy. 

Brain development in children? Can't help you much there. :)