Menu

Skip the Chemistry lab or take the following school year?

What to do?

If your student was unable to take a lab while studying BJU Chemistry and had watched all the videos on the education portal site, would you still have him take a Chemistry lab the following year if one came available? I'm trying to decide if it is really necessary or not? He is still undecided as to the career path he will choose but is leaning towards computer science or engineering. He has only had one true lab experience, which was with Biology.

What to do?

If your student was unable to take a lab while studying BJU Chemistry and had watched all the videos on the education portal site, would you still have him take a Chemistry lab the following year if one came available? I'm trying to decide if it is really necessary or not? He is still undecided as to the career path he will choose but is leaning towards computer science or engineering. He has only had one true lab experience, which was with Biology.

Yes, I would. Doesn't he need 2 lab sciences for college?

It would depend on how many lab sciences they need for college.  Mine need at least three sciences with lab for what we're planning, and they'll actually end up with four just in case.  Yes, I'm a type-A, "don't close any doors" mom.  The majority of high schoolers change their minds about what they're going to study at least once if not more.

And don't make assumptions about not needing the sciences with labs for computer science and engineering.  At my STEM school, everyone had to take two semesters of physics with lab, two semesters of chemistry with lab, and then two semesters of either geology or biology with lab.  It was a degree requirement for all B.S. degrees, regardless of major.  The labs were tough, weed-out classes (4-8 hours a week), and those who didn't have good high school lab experience struggled more than others.

My son is also considering computer science or engineering. He'll be taking chemistry this year with lab. Honestly, I would do what I could to make a lab happen in the year he was studying chemistry, just to make sure it doesn't have get pushed aside down the road. Retention of subject matter would be better as well. 

If you can't do it throughout the year, you might consider a lab intensive either on your own or through someplace like Landry Academy. I have no experience with them, although others here have had a good experience.