Menu

Brave Writer - Partnership Writing

Monarch Room

Is anyone using Partnership Writing this year? I mean actually using it :) I own The Writer's Jungle and read it every now and again really hoping to implement it. I have a lot of respect for the author. I think if I could just put all her wisdom into practice we would be golden.

Are you using The Arrow along side of Partnership Writing? How long are you in each book for The Arrow? Is it considered a read aloud? Please tell me this is workable. Tea Times and Friday Freewrites sound lovely. I just need to actually do it.

Found PW so easy to implement. It is basically a plan for TWJ. We used it alongside the Arrow in the fall. A Arrow guide lasts a month. At first I thought I would hate stretching a book out a month and some of them we went ahead and finished ahead of schedule...but I found I liked camping out with a book for that long, we were more invested in it. We read it once or twice a week as a read aloud. I took a break from the Arrow this semester but am looking forward to going back to it.

I have one kiddo at the Jot-it-Down level and one at the Partnership Writing Level.  We started using both, but then Kiddo A would be annoyed because she wanted to do what Kiddo B was doing and vice-versa.  So...I ended up taking differrent activities from both, activities from blog posts, TWJ, etc and putting them on index cards.  Now we draw a card daily and write.  We also do copywork daily.  Tea Times don't happen as often as I'd like, so we are working on that.  We haven't been doing this long, but it seems to be going really well.  The kids have yet to complain about writing and usually beg to do more.  They like the variety and it's helping us to form the habit of writing every single day, but not having it become boring.

We tried The Arrow (Ginger Pye) but I thought the book was awful and I wasn't really impressed with the overall content of The Arrow.  We haven't bothered with it since. 

Thanks for your input ladies :) I'm really hoping that they come out with Faltering Ownership as well before the fall. I just wrote them to ask if they are releasing it soon. Bravewriter is the only thing that comes close to what I want for my very right brained kids. It looks so fun. I haven't bought PW yet, but I plan to this week. I plan to sit down with it to see how the thing works. If I put something on my schedule I'll do it. I'm so glad BW is putting out these helps to put TWJ into practice.

I'm currently using PW with the Arrow Guide for Where the Mountain Meets the Moon. It's been great.  My two are enjoying the story and each have picked out their our writing projects for the month. It's nice that I can tailor it to have each of them work at their own levels on one book.  I also like that the examples and materials are there for me to pick or discard as I see fit. Since I work, I think we'll be stretching the activities out to 5 or 6 weeks instead of completing them in 4.

I have to admit, the Ginger Pye guide wouldn't have been my choice as an example copy of the Arrow guides.

I have a few copies of the Arrow including the free one in addition to PW, but was really underwhelmed. Even though PW was meant to be a guide, and is certainly an improvement over TWJ, I still found it difficult to implement/use. I know folks really love BW and I will admit I love the idea of BW more than I like the actual products themselves. Sadly, because they're ebooks, there is no option to resell.

We use and are enjoying PW, but have dropped Arrow.  Its a fine supplement, but I wouldn't want to rely on it alone to teach grammar, spelling, or literature.  It does seem expensive for what you get (I feel much the same way about their classes.)  I like them, but it just isn't cost effective or sufficient for my tastes.  I like the beginning writing programs, though, as I feel writing should be gentle and a partnership at those ages.  Suprisingly, PW seems like more than enough imo, and interesting projects for both my daughter and I.  (I think the Imaginary Continent project would have been GREAT for my reluctant writers when they were that age. Wish it had been available a few years earlier!)  I might even try Faultering Ownership when it comes out.

Recently someone was asking about BW and PW, and I think Farrar gave a wonderful review of the program.  I am going to link it here.  Post #5

I plan to use PW along with my copy work/grammar program (which I *think* is what the Arrow is about - but I don't use it so don't quote me!) or whatever else you're doing - choosing your own copy work, another grammar, no grammar, whatever.  I like that I could use it and combine everyone into a sort of writing workshop.