Menu

Afterschooling focused on social skills, relationships, etc.

The door is shut for homeschooling ds 9 with Aspergers, at least for the foreseeable future.  He is doing well in school and on an accelerated track at least for math.  I will probably supplement Language Arts and read great books after school with him and my other two dc (whom I homeschool) but he really needs specific training in the area of social skills and maintaining relatiionships, organization, etc.  He only receives special services for one hour a week and definitely needs more.  I do not want to have a new ARD just yet, I want to see what I can do with him.  Any suggestions for activities, curricula, lessons?  I already have Michelle Garcia Winner's Superflex program.

It has been difficult letting go of my dream to homeschool all three of my children but I need to focus on the future and doing my utmost to help my ds.

I appreciate any help!

Jen

Are you sure there are not additional services available to you through the school?  I know a few people whose children with Aspergers attend school and they take part in a variety of social programs.  I know they include a lunch bunch that meet during lunchtime and a integrated sports program.  I'm sure there are more.  Perhaps your school does have this available or would be willing implement similar programs?

I have used and really like, Teaching Theory of Mind and Big Picture Thinking. I would also suggest working on executive functioning skills. Unstuck and On Target is great for the flexible thinking problems many with ASD face. I used it alongside Zones of Regulation which targets emotional regulation. I also have found Learning the ROPES for Improved Exeuctive Functiong to have very helpful ideas to implement for the planning and organization aspects of executive functioning.

You may want to post on the learning challenges board to get some suggestions from the wise ladies who post there.

• 3 weeks later...

This is going to sound "out there", but here me out. Have you considered having your son watch "My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic"? I just watched a documentary about it on Netflix called "Bronies, the Unexpected fans of something, something, something." Apparently, there is this phenomenon all over the world of young men (who are sometimes socially awkward) really loving "My Little Pony, Friendship is Magic", and responding well to the friendship making skills it teaches. It's a big hit with guys with Asperger's and ADHD. So in terms of Afterschooling for Social Emotional Learning, the show might be worth looking into.

I also have some other ideas about promoting SEL on my blog: http://teachingmybabytoread.com/category/social-emotional-learning

Good luck! SEL is one of the hardest things to teach.

I've found this helpful.  I have children who don't have any particular challenges, but I think everyone could benefit from getting a window into different personality types and how to empathize and connect with them. Basic social skills are just that-skills.  Not everyone intuits them, so they need to be taught.  It's very warm and reassuring and has lots of simple, practical advice for working with your child in positive ways. I'm currently going through it with my youngest a little at a time.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Unwritten-Rules-Friendship-Strategies/dp/0316917303/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1394597450&sr=8-1&keywords=unwritten+rules+friendship

Several different companies make products for this purpose.  I don't have any specific recommendations, but a quick search may help you narrow down the choices:

https://www.google.com/search?q=social%20skills%20games There are board games, workbooks, etc. all intended to supplement and teach social skills. 

I have used the manners lessons from The Etiquette Factory, but you may be past that level with your DS. 

Best of luck!