Menu

Is there an 8th grade thread yet?

I can hardly believe that I am posting on the 8th grade thread. We just started K a couple weeks ago, didn't we?

We are going to be doing the following:

TOG Year 2

Saxon Algebra 1

Apologia Physical

Analytical Grammar, season 3

Cover Story

Phonetic Zoo (spelling) List C

Spanish 1

Java Script

PE - Olympic Lifting and CrossFit, 4 days per week

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We officially start school next week, finally!  

Math-

(we've already done Alg. 1 but I feel like we need a bit more depth)

Lial's Beg./Intermediate Alg., Keys to Geometry, and Jergensen Geometry.  This will be spread out over the next 2- 2.5 years.

History/Writing

Spievogel World History and EP videos

IEW theme based writing and writing across the curriculum in an IEW style

Science

Hewitts Conceptual Physics, EP Physics, TOPS Motion, Machines. Electricity, heat?

Language Arts

IEW- Phonetic Zoo

IEW Fix-It books 1 and 2

Killgallon Sentence and Paragraph for M.S.

Vocabulary from Latin and Greek Roots

P.E. and Health

Membership at YMCA and EP Nutrition/Health videos

Spanish

No idea..... I'm putting this off until October.  We might start on some simple Vocab this year and wait until he can take a class at local cottage school next year.

We start next week, too. I should go back and see what I have changed since I posted in this thread.

foxbridgecademy, what does EP stand for?

Education Portal (short "videos").  I signed up back when it was still free, I start paying in Oct., $20 per month (ouch) but it is DS's favorite resource so we'll see how it goes.

ELA - essentials in writing

Teaching the classics

Worldly Wise

Englishgrammar101.com

Science - Reviewing Earth Science 3rd addition

Earth Science for High School Lesson Guide by Lisa Michalek

Barron's ES review and exams books

Math - Foersters Algebra 1

Math without Borders

Barron's Algebra 1 review and exam books

Social Studies - Prentice Hall America: History of our Nation

Health - we'll be using multiple online sources along with life experiences. We will include nutrition, human sexuality, drug and alcohol awareness and appropriate sex ed.

Music - saxophone private and group lessons.

Foreign language - Spanish, Rosetta Stone

Paso A Paso

Visual arts - weekly homeschool group art lesson. We plan on also doing research on Van Gogh, Picasso, DaVinci, and Monet.

Technology - my husband and I build the dance props throughout the year for DSs dance studio. We will use that as his technology lessons. We will have him help in all stages of prop building using math and science skills.

Home and Career Skills - Financial Management, sewing, home care, gardening

PE - Biking, swimming, hiking, and a local group of homeschoolers get together weekly for sports in the park.

Extracurriculars - competitive dance (jazz, tap, lyrical, ballet, contemporary, hip hop, breakdancing). Mixed Martial Arts. Gymnastics. He may join the local chess club if we can fit it into his schedule.

ETA - I forgot about Mindcraft Homeschooling. Mostly for fun with the benefit of more learning :)

• 3 weeks later...

This is my first time being organized enough to post to one of these threads!  This is our everything-we'd-want-to-do-in-an-ideal-world plan; we'll see how we need to adjust/scale back to fit reality!

Math

* Algebra 1 (2nd half): Jacobs' Elementary Algebra

Geometry: Jacobs' Geometry possibly supplemented with Patty Paper Geometry and Hands’ On Geometry: Constructions with Straightedge and Compass

Science

* Ornithology: Essential Ornithology by Graham Scott, Manual of Ornithology: Avian Structure and Function by Noble S. Proctor, The Sibley Guide to Bird Life and Behavior, The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America, lots of field work/bird walks

* Forensics unit study: TBD

American History: History of Us by Joy Hakim, Stanford History Education Group’s primary source materials lessons, Teaching Company / Great Course Lectures: High School Level-Early American History: Native Americans through the Forty-Niners, PBS Series Liberty!: The American Revolution, assorted essays and historical literature, field trips

Language Arts: Michael Clay Thompson Level 4
* Vocabulary: Word Within the Word, Vocabulary Cartoons: SAT Word Power
* Grammar: Magic Lens 1, 4Practice 1
* Writing: Essay Voyage, possibly moving into Advanced Academic Writing 1 later in the year, writing across the curriculum
* Poetry:  Poetry & Humanity, poem of the day
* Literature: various classics chosen from our 8th Grade Book List, various essays 
* Study Skills: How to Become a Superstar Student; work on note taking, outlining and other skills across the curriculum
* Other: Toastmaster’s Effective Communication class (public speaking / working in groups)

French:  Bien Dit, Quizlet & Rosetta Stone for practice

Art: Drawing class at local studio, daily sketching/painting, How to Look at and Understand Great Art from the Great Courses, field trips to museums and for sketching

Then the subjects we will cover less often than daily or less rigorously than a full course:

Latin: Getting Started with Latin (1 lesson per day, continuing from where we left off)
Logic / Critical Thinking:  portions of James Madison Critical Thinking
Health:  Buzzed: The Straight Facts About the Most Used and Abused Drugs from Alcohol to Ecstasy by Cynthia Kuhn, other TBD
Music: TBD (I'd like to do some music history/appreciation later in the year), concerts
Typing: TBD (I'd like to fit some keyboarding practice in somewhere along the way)
PE:  Archery, horseback riding, biking, hiking (maybe with some orienteering / geocaching / letter boxing)