Menu

how do I perserve sweet peppers? How long do roasted peppers last in the fridge?

Renthead Mommy

I have a bunch of sweet peppers (red, yellow, orange).  I don't want to freeze them if I don't have to.  I would love to roast them and keep them in a jar in the fridge, but how do I do that? I know how to roast them, but do I just pour oil over them?  How long do they last that way?  I want something that will last more than a week.  (A month would be great.)  I do have a water bath canner.

Any suggestions? 

I picked 12 peppers, 5 cucumbers, 5 zucchini, 2 1/2 pounds of sweet red cherry tomatoes, 2 of sweet orange cherry tomatoes, and a wash basin full of regular tomatoes. 

I am going to can tomatoes tomorrow I guess.  And freeze beans.  Any suggestions on the red cherry tomatoes?  I gave away the orange ones.  I love the cherry ones, but I can't eat 2 1/2 pounds of them!  Plus I have more on the vine! 

Help me!  I am overwhelmed!

Roasted peppers in oil in an airtight jar keeps for weeks in the fridge. I've done it a few times. Yes, I just put olive oil over The peppers. Make sure they're covered. Yummy!!

ETA: I've read that they can keep In the fridge for a year, but never tried it. I have kept them for at least a month though with no problems.

Last year I lucked into a haul of peppers from the farmers' market. I roasted them, then individually wrapped each in plastic wrap to freeze (hot in one ziplock bag, sweet in another---didn't want to get them confused!) They were so handy to have---I could chop one frozen to throw in a chili or casserole, and they took a few minutes to thaw to go on a sandwich. Sooo good! I hope this is another good growing year for peppers so I can do the same again!