Menu

Is this ADHD?

I know it must be overwhelming to be thinking through all these things (and have the dh a few steps behind), but I'm happy for you to be getting clearer answers!  

Yes, yes, push for the full evals and access to services.  You're going to be very glad you got the full eval. 

• Like 1

I know it must be overwhelming to be thinking through all these things (and have the dh a few steps behind), but I'm happy for you to be getting clearer answers!  

Yes, yes, push for the full evals and access to services.  You're going to be very glad you got the full eval. 

I agree!!!

Oh and ironically now that we are looking through and learning about this, DH thinks he probably has the same. I wouldnt doubt it, but I wasnt going to tell him so.  :001_smile:  

That was going to be my question.   ;)

If it's any consolation, the highest concentration of ASD in the country is around MIT.   :)

Stand your ground and do what is right for your dc.  A lot has changed with available services, how labels are perceived socially, etc., and the dc's mix may not be exactly like the parent's.  Just because he "survived" doesn't mean the dc shouldn't get interventions.  Interventions can dramatically affect the outcome.

• Like 2

Thanks for the encouragement. I need it right now. DH is not in a great place...it is hard. I know we need to continue for DS but I have to help DH along too. It is just a lot!

This is a very common dynamic--the dads often have a really hard time at first.

BTW, check out the Moms of Kids on the Spectrum social group!

Don't rush things and don't rush your DH.  Nothing has really changed except you have a diagnosis.  Do your research and slowly implement what you learn but try to resist the temptation to share everything with DH.  I find it works best to give him small amounts of information a little at a time.  Or, implement some changes and then share why once you've seen results. 

• Like 1

momathwtk. I think that is pretty good advice. Only I am not sure how urgent it is for the full evalutaion. That is the part I dont understand....

A neuropsych will pick up things you're not clued into yet.  He might need vision or OT referrals.  There might be some anxiety or things that could be treated.  There could be LDs you're not expecting.  He might identify EF issues or dysgraphia or give you recommendations that improve how you teach.  

A formal eval may also open you up to funding for services.  Our state has an autism scholarship at the state level *and* funding at the county level.  It gives you complete documentation on accommodations, so you feel comfortable over the next few years requesting those accommodations in online classes or things he does locally.  

I took a year to decide on the neuropsych to use with my ds and it takes months (sometimes many months!) to get in after that.  It's not like this is some speedy process.  You can get on a list and cancel.  You also don't have to go crazy with interventions.  You can, or you can ease into them slowly and pick just a couple to do at a time.  (sanity)  Sometimes there are alternative ways the dc would enjoy that would help you meet the same goals without being *therapy* specifically.  For instance horseriding will work on core, balance, shoulder and hand strength, etc., etc., much like OT without being OT.  Getting those evals helps you realize those needs and watch for opportunities like that.

The bummer is waiting on evals and realizing you struggled with things that could have been easily treated long ago had they been identified.  The bummer is waiting on evals and realizing your kid is now so old it's challenging to get compliance.   

• Like 1

Ou psych worked piecemeal--started with full history, including quirks that drove us nuts but we weren't sure were relevant, an IQ, and Woodcock Johnson achievement test. She hinted at the possibility of Asperger's, but she did not push it when we weren't so sure--we had to get past a lot of myths that we didn't think fit. We went to a homeschool convention session that talked about gifted kids with learning issues, and the presenter popped every myth that was holding us back about Asperger's. Then, the psych ran the ASD tests, allowing us to comment as needed when the answers didn't quite fit what we saw. She also refers out for some kinds of testing if needed (like dyslexia sorts of things). Her evaluation gave us access to an IEP and a state scholarship that we can use as homeschoolers. It also gave us tons of good information for our own benefit and told us what kinds of accommodations he'd need. Therapy came from other evaluations--we had an OT evaluation and did about 12-15 weeks of OT, for instance. He had eye teaming issues that we saw a COVD (developmental optometrist) for so that he could get vision therapy. (Strabismus and eye-teaming issues are very common with kids on the spectrum--they are often brain-based, like bilateral coordination issues are. The combination of VT and OT boosted my son's athletic ability considerably!) The scholarship provides writing tutoring and behavioral training, such as social skills.

So, you can piecemeal things if you have access to good information about who to see (or get lucky!). Our psych has had a lot of mixed results with kids using OT for anxiety and such, but we found it particularly helpful. We used a clinic that came recommended specifically for sensory stuff and for really considering the individual child. I think it depends a lot on which facility and therapist you use. The benefit of a full evaluation all at once is that they are less likely to leave out something important and that it's mostly one stop shopping.  

I would plan a course of action that suits your budget, time/amount of energy, most pressing needs, and that seems to jive with good local(ish) recommendations. We bypassed some of our no-brainer options like the local children's hospital, but I think we got more individualized attention in our case.

• Like 1