Menu

iPad programming apps?

Your blog's St Patricks Day photos are lovely.

Thanks, we had a great day!

I added links to those my boys have tried on their ipads

Are any of them good? The Codea one looks interesting, but from reading the reviews you can't share so that is a big negative for my boys, they love to share on Code Academy, and Scratch! Edit to add; I see the ones you tried are free, so we will try them, thanks!

BotBat is the one that runs on gamecenter so it can go into multiplayer mode. Daisy is easy enough for a preschooler. They just tried Cato and Kodable but both are non sharing. We have not tried Codea or Move the Turtle.

I might try Codea, but I'll let them look at free ones first.

My kids want to program on their iPads. Anyone tried Codea or Move the Turtle? Any other programming app to recommend?

They are doing Scratch and Kodu on their laptops.

ETA:

Older just tried this Cato's Hike Lite: A Programming and Logic Odyssey and Kodable

They tried Daisy the Dinosaur (easy)

They are trying out BotBatnow (not that easy)

By coincidence I've just bought Move the Turtle, but my DS hasn't seen it yet, so when he tries it later on today I will let you know. The only thing, it will be our first experience with Programming at all, in fact I haven't even known about them till know :drool:

Another app I found about programming- My Robot Friend by Leapfrog and it has the good reviews too, but I've decided to leave it for next time

My (limited) experience with Codea is that it is not a tool for teaching coding to children.

Codea could be used as a platform for teaching coding with an experienced teacher or a book, but the app itself will not teach coding.

A while ago I saw a primer for Codea that was geared towards teaching, but I don't think it looked appealing to children.

I believe that you cannot share Codea programs directly because the makers were forced to remove that aspect from the app due to rules that Apple has about downloading code. (Codea scripting looks much more like real code than what I've see in the apps listed thus far in this thread.) On the other hand, all Codea scripts are written in plain text. It would be a simple matter to copy the text of a script and paste it into an email to a friend.

If you like Cato's Hike, check out Cargo-Bot. It is a similar app, and it was written in Codea (by adult programmers).

I think a nice bridge to Codea would be GameMaker (which is a PC program, not an app), but I haven't looked at GameMaker in years. A few years ago it was free, and there were lots of resources for it, and it is much more newbie friendly than Codea.

P.S. Although it is possible to use Codea without an external keyboard, I don't recommend it.

If you like Cato's Hike, check out Cargo-Bot. It is a similar app, and it was written in Codea (by adult programmers).

I think a nice bridge to Codea would be GameMaker (which is a PC program, not an app), but I haven't looked at GameMaker in years. A few years ago it was free, and there were lots of resources for it, and it is much more newbie friendly than Codea.

They have already finish Cato and Cargo-bot. Now they want to do games programming :) I can teach them programming but I prefer to let them be self-taught.

I can let them work on C or Python on linux when they are interested.

i showed my 9 yo catos hike once, and after 10 minutes he said it wasnt as fun as he thought it would be. he's working through super scratch adventure on the pc

Mine are still working through scratch and kodu on their own as well as lego mindstorm. Kodu won't install on windows 8 eventhough the latest version is suppose to be compatible.

Have you tried Simduino? Its an Arduino Simulator on ipad. I haven't buy yet.

Now they want to do games programming :) I can teach them programming but I prefer to let them be self-taught.

I can let them work on C or Python on linux when they are interested.

GameMaker would probably be perfect for them. It provides a great bridge between drag and drop and seeing the underlying script. There are lots of resources and scaffolding for new learners. Plus it is incredibly powerful for a free tool. I'm really surprised that it doesn't come up more often when people ask about programming.