Menu

13 year old who has not done any formal logic

Hello all,

I had done some research and made a list of books to get for this and what order to do them in, and now I cannot find it anywhere. So I'm starting from scratch now. Can you recommend something for logic for a bright 13 yr old who hasn't done anything formal for logic so far? It needs to be really geared towards a teen and not at all watered down. Many thanks for any suggestions.

One approach is to consider doing the Classical Academic Press set: Art of Argument, Discover of Deduction and Argument Builder.

I was initially concerned Dd would not take to Art of Argument or it would be too light. She loved it. It is informal logic, but does a great job of creating a doorway into logic studies in a formal manner and is written in an engaging way.

One approach is to consider doing the Classical Academic Press set: Art of Argument, Discover of Deduction and Argument Builder.

I was initially concerned Dd would not take to Art of Argument or it would be too light. She loved it. It is informal logic, but does a great job of creating a doorway into logic studies in a formal manner and is written in an engaging way.

Because your student has not done any formal logic previously, I'd suggest starting with an informal logic such as one of those suggested by Nscribe, and then move into a formal logic program such as the one suggested by Tibbie.

Other things that help prepare a student of this age for a formal logic study:

- logic puzzles

- critical thinking puzzles/activities

- strategy games

- Socratic-method questions / analysis questions when studying Literature, History and Science (this past thread has examples of what that looked like: How valuable are Socratic discussions)

- informally discussing the "why" and "how" of movies, politics/current events, and of everyday life: "why did he make that choice, and what might the consequences be?" ... "how might that event effect the rest of the region?" ... "what do you think her reasoning for that might be?"

- ask questions that encourage the student to:

*ask "why"

* understand sequence of events

* see/describe similarities/differences

* make connections

* look for cause and effect

* predict/guess what WILL happen, based on what has already happened

So sorry to hear you can't find your previous research -- that is so frustrating! Here are some past threads that might help you start to reconstruct your list:

Has anyone used the Gift of Logic workbooks?

Can someone educate me on Logic?

Logic question (a number of resources suggested for first exposure to formal logic)

Can you post your progression for teaching Logic?

Logic questions (what to use with 13yo and 10yo without much past exposure to logic)

Introductory Logic vs Art of Argument

Traditional Logic 1 -- DVDs needed?

Found a great printable re: logical fallacies

What texts have you used to introduce formal logic study?

Formal Logic failure. Now what? (suggestions of alternative programs, and alternative ways of doing logic)

Formal Logic in 10th grade (suggested programs)

Logic for high school after Traditional Logic I and II

Logic for mom

Living math equivalent for Logic? ("living" books that teach logic)

Does anyone do 3 hours/week of Logic in the logic stage? And if not how much is proper? (more a thread to explore what your goals for goal are)

Edited by Lori D.