Menu

Sewing pattern for a Karate Gi?

We're TKD "kickers" in our family (just got our Advanced Green Belts last night -- woo hoo :thumbup:!!), but I assume the gi's are the same for all martial arts??

Here's a children's size pattern: McCalls M6184 (available thru size 8)

It seems I had a seen an adult size pattern recently --- I'm thinking it was a Burda, but I'm not sure.

Hope that helps!

Tammie

Is this for a training gi or a costume? Obviously if it will be a costume, you can use lighter fabric. But if it is a gi to be worn for training or competition, then the fabric and thread needs to be heavier and also the seams need to be very strong.

In my case, it was cheaper to buy a medium weight gi than to try to sew one. I think the one I got is a size 5 in 8 or 10oz black cotton and it was only around $28.00. The tournament gis our friends wear are much more expensive (around $200), and the training gis the BJJ guys wear with those super heavy weight tops are around $75.

Is this for a training gi or a costume? Obviously if it will be a costume, you can use lighter fabric. But if it is a gi to be worn for training or competition, then the fabric and thread needs to be heavier and also the seams need to be very strong.

In my case, it was cheaper to buy a medium weight gi than to try to sew one. I think the one I got is a size 5 in 8 or 10oz black cotton and it was only around $28.00. The tournament gis our friends wear are much more expensive (around $200), and the training gis the BJJ guys wear with those super heavy weight tops are around $75.

For a 5 yo beginner Karate student. It doesn't have to last. I wanted to find a cute gi color for her but all I can see are blue, black, white, and red. There's one kid who wears a pink gi. Very cute.

Guest submarines
For a 5 yo beginner Karate student. It doesn't have to last. I wanted to find a cute gi color for her but all I can see are blue, black, white, and red. There's one kid who wears a pink gi. Very cute.

Would you be able to dye a white one?

You may already be aware of this, but you may want to check with your instructor before going to the trouble of making a gi or purchasing a special one. Most martial arts have reg's about their uniforms, even if only for class. Our TKD school only allows colored uniforms after green belts, and then it's only certain colors. Just hate for you to go to alot of trouble and then your little one not be able to wear it.

Good luck finding what you're looking for!

We're TKD

Here's a children's size pattern: McCalls M6184 (available thru size 8)

This does not have the gusset int he crotch area- might not be so good for kicking, could be prone to rips.

You may already be aware of this, but you may want to check with your instructor before going to the trouble of making a gi or purchasing a special one. Most martial arts have reg's about their uniforms, even if only for class. Our TKD school only allows colored uniforms after green belts, and then it's only certain colors. Just hate for you to go to alot of trouble and then your little one not be able to wear it.

:iagree:

But if you have $75 to spend, http://www.martialartspartystore.com/facoun.html

Or just get a white one and dye it. These start at $16.14 http://www.martialartsmart.com/11-71.html

Checked already. Good advice! Any color for practice but only white for testing.