Menu

Book/ audio book list for rising first grade

warriormom

My son will be starting first grade at the local public school. He is in a classical Christian school this school year. I have plan as far as read alouds, but I have used read along audiobooks. I would guess ds is reading at a 3rd grade level.

1. Can you send me some suggestions for audiobook/ book companions? I am going to look for them at the library.

2. What level book should I start with ds? Should I go up a level or two?

3. Should I get high interest books? Classics? Or a combination?

4. How much time a day should I have him use read along audiobooks ( on top of mom reading aloud and kid read aloud)?

5. Any advice from the literacy enthusiasts at hive mind?

6. What is your routine with audiobook/book combo? Ideas?

Edited by cabreban

we don't have a real routine, ds likes to listen to them during the day and then before bedtime.

He likes to listen to: The Wind in the Willows, all the Ramona books, Just So Stories, Little House on the Prairie, Dr Dolittle by Hugh Lofting, all the Beatrix Potter. We have some other too but he doesnt listen to them very much. These are his favorites.

Can you tell us more about his interests and your goals for him?

FWIW, someone on this board recommended the Just So Stories as an audiobook (we got the Carl Reiner version) and it's wonderful just to let the wonderful words flow over you!

Edited by kubiac

My kids are audio book addicts. I have a rule that (most of the time) I only allow them an audio book after the actual book has been read. For my older son, that means he read it to himself. For my younger, I allow books that have been read out loud by myself or daddy. Honestly, I am not sure exactly how that rule came about...it could have been that I was worried about all our read out loud time being usurped by audio books.

It is so bad, that a couple of people have commented that it sounds 'almost as if the boys speak with a British accent'. :lol: I just look at them blankly and act like I have no idea where they could get that idea. Ahem.

So, right now the 7 year old is loving The Hobbit and Odd And The Frost Giants. Those two are in heavy rotation. My Father's Dragon is popular, as is the Narnia series. Watership Down is the current read outloud and I have that ready to go (shhh! it will be a suprise) Oh, and Redwall is the next read outloud so I supposed I will have to get that as well.

We don't really use audiobooks that way, at least not as a read along. For one, our library's selection of read alongs is very limited, although you could probably check out an audiobook and find the hard copy yourself to go along with it.

Since ds is dyslexic, it would be very hard for him to read at the level he is comfortable listening, so right now we use audiobooks during quiet time to get more language/words into him or serve as a book he has "read" and don't worry so much about him following along visually. I think your use of audiobooks depends on your purpose though.

Since ds is dyslexic, it would be very hard for him to read at the level he is comfortable listening, so right now we use audiobooks during quiet time to get more language/words into him or serve as a book he has "read" and don't worry so much about him following along visually. I think your use of audiobooks depends on your purpose though.

Give it a try! The beauty of reading along with an audiobook is that the student is hearing the correct pronunciation/inflection in the reading while he is reading along. For a child who struggles, this can go a long way towards helping them become fluent.

My son is very dyslexic, and this has helped his fluency tremendously. It doesn't help his decoding ability, but at this point I'll take sight words in addition to our phonics work.

Give it a try! The beauty of reading along with an audiobook is that the student is hearing the correct pronunciation/inflection in the reading while he is reading along. For a child who struggles, this can go a long way towards helping them become fluent.

My son is very dyslexic, and this has helped his fluency tremendously. It doesn't help his decoding ability, but at this point I'll take sight words in addition to our phonics work.

Oh, he wouldn't even do it. We do echo reading at his reading level, but he is listening to books way, way above his reading level - at complete frustration level for him (archaic language, etc.). Plus, quiet time is his down time and I don't want him to struggle through his down time. :) I do think it can work, and it might be something I try as he gets older, but he works so hard during school time, I couldn't do that to him during "building" free time.

1. I have only limited experience with read-along audio books, we used them very occasionally, since it's very easy to get a book too high for the child's reading level, so they lose track of their place in the book while trying to keep up with listening to the reader. We used Hop On Pop and Amelia Bedelia with some success.

2. I would start on his reading level, so he doesn't get lost. You can always ramp up from there if that's too easy.

3. I recommend a combination. Most high interest books aren't exactly the most well-written. I think a primary part of using the audiobooks is to expose the child to well-written literature.

4. I'd say no more than 15 minutes, maybe 30 if he really enjoys it.

5. Try to pick good literature. There are tons of lists out there with excellent books to read. I'd much rather my child listen to/read along with Charlotte's Web or Frog and Toad than Junie B. Jones.

6. I tend to do it on our "light" school days, or after we've finished other school work, as a kind of wind down activity before DD runs off to play.