Menu

Dh asked me to post this for him re: computer programming for elementary age kids

JadeOrchidSong

Hello,

I was interested in knowing if anyone has had any luck in finding a course in computer programming for elementary age children between around 6-10 years old? If so, can you please tell me what course you've selected and why you like it? Thanks!

Motherboardbooks.com has a LOGO course intended for 3rd grade+ -- I haven't used it, but he might look into that.

Yes!!! Scratch is good as a start. It's really fun .We also recommend the book "Scratch Programming for Teens" though we found it easy even for our 9 year old.

After that, kidsruby is awesome! It's brand new so there are a few bugs so if you or your dh don't know how to program and at least google Ruby, it could be frustrating.

Another option is W3 schools. My son did their entire HTMl lesson at 9 years old. He was planning to move onto JavaScript with W3 schools when kids ruby came out. This one has no bugs and includes quizzes and tests so it can work even if you can't help your ds.

Edited by Calming Tea

Cool! How's it going? Did they start with Scratch?

My dds are doing Scratch and Lego NXT programming currently. As in right next to me on 2 different laptops. They are fanatical Scratchers.

We'll attempt Alice in a few months.

It's fun! :thumbup1: We use Storytelling ALICE - it's designed for middle school use. It has a very good tutorial. There is also the regular version of ALICE, which does alot more and is geared towards high school level. I think the regular version has books that you can buy for it.

My 10YO loved using Alice before starting KidCoder, and he absolutely loved it. Every time he needed to learn something new, he just watched a tutorial, and was off to the races.

He used it to make little cartoons to illustrate silly versions of his Ancient history lessons.

No, I don't know why this iPad capitalizes in random places. I just don't fight it-- life is too short.

It's fun! :thumbup1: We use Storytelling ALICE - it's designed for middle school use. It has a very good tutorial. There is also the regular version of ALICE, which does alot more and is geared towards high school level. I think the regular version has books that you can buy for it.

Oh! That makes sense. Alice is too advanced for my dds -- but I will look at Storytelling Alice.

Thank you!!