Menu

Is there anything as thorough as R&S, but secular and more modern? nt

rafiki

nt

I hear ya Michele. We typically only use secular material but R&S grammar is the one exception that I've made. What I've found is that we can skip over their overtly biblical exercises and still have more than enough exercises to learn the new concept and understand the grammar.

I have looked at many other programs; including Growing with Grammar, but decided to stick with R&S and skip the few non-secular exercises.

it is not AS complete as R&S in that there isn't a writing component. Personally, I didn't really like R&S's writing component anyway, so we just used our own. GWG included diagramming and everything else R&S does only in a workbook format. THat, my ds9 likes! I highly recommend it. 2 of my other dc use R&S with no problems (I don't mind the Christian content as I am a Christian but it does get to be overkill sometimes!). To each his own...check out GWG!

I'm not sure what grade you are looking at. We are using Grammar & Writing by Hake this year and I find it to be a very complete program. We chose not to do the writing part. It is set up similar to Saxon with a big spiral book for student and parent (with answers). There is a separate book with tests. It includes dictation, journaling, & diagraming. I think they only have 5-8 grade at this point, but 4th might be coming out soon. If you like the spiral method you might like this. There are samples on their website.

Janis in DE

I'm not sure what grade you are looking at. We are using Grammar & Writing by Hake this year and I find it to be a very complete program. We chose not to do the writing part. It is set up similar to Saxon with a big spiral book for student and parent (with answers). There is a separate book with tests. It includes dictation, journaling, & diagraming. I think they only have 5-8 grade at this point, but 4th might be coming out soon. If you like the spiral method you might like this. There are samples on their website.

Janis in DE

Janis,

What grade did you use of Hake Grammar? I am considering the 6th grade book for next year. Did your child write their answers directly in the book (like a worktext) or is a seperate sheet of paper required?

Also did you get through the whole book in one year? I have read some people do the text over 2 years and skip the next level.

Thanks.