Menu

I need a good Geometry program

I've said it before, but ds is thriving with Derek Owens' Geometry class (based on Jacobs). Fabulous, clear online lectures (with fill-in-the-blanks notes for students -- good transitional step to taking notes from a lecture), he grades all homework and tests, with explanations for anything a student really misses...

I've said it before, but ds is thriving with Derek Owens' Geometry class (based on Jacobs). Fabulous, clear online lectures (with fill-in-the-blanks notes for students -- good transitional step to taking notes from a lecture), he grades all homework and tests, with explanations for anything a student really misses...

Hi Abbey,

Sorry to hijack, but we just sampled Mr. Owens' geometry lesson today and I am wondering if you use the Jacobs text or Jacobs assignments at all any more, or just use Mr. Owens'? It seems like many of the problems in the Jacobs' assignment will have already been answered during the Owens video?

Julie

Hm, well, both. The class follows the textbook in terms of structure. The students watch Derek's lectures, and are assigned to read the lessons from the textbook and/or do certain of the problems from the textbook. Some problems are worked during lectures (and thus not part of homework), and some aren't done at all. There are additional homework sheets from Derek that are turned in to him, and these are sometimes completely new problems and sometimes problems drawn from the text (but not assigned at other times, so they aren't duplicates). So... Yes, he uses the textbook. But you don't simply work through every problem in the book as written -- it's more like being in a classroom where some problems are worked together and some are assigned as homework and some additional problems are pulled in. Does that make sense?

Does that make sense?

I think I'm starting to get it. Seemed weird that he could teach Jacobs without using/buying Jacobs, so I'm glad he's using it some. I'm thinking of just using his videos, since he's offering a much cheaper option for that. But then some of the book problems are already done so not sure if I should do his problems too???

My ds liked the sample video we watched today, but wondered if all his problems would be done for him :) (the sample video showed him working through a proof that ds just did)

Julie

...Seemed weird that he could teach Jacobs without using/buying Jacobs, so I'm glad he's using it some...

We do a local class (though I won't hesitate to do the online option if the schedules don't work out for us in the future), and Derek loans all of the kids the text at the beginning of the year. They do refer to it several times a week at least. I know you don't have to have a text (beyond Derek's notes) for some of his courses, but geometry definitely requires the text. ... I didn't realize there was an option for just watching his videos without enrolling in the online course.