Menu

How long can a cat NOT pee for? or/ Is he peeing somewhere that I haven't found yet.

Our local council insists that cats be indoors in the hours of darkness. In winter that is about 5.30pm until 7am and in summer more like 9pm to 7am. In that time he never uses his dirt box, he has one but does not like it and I have to admit the location is not ideal (beside the recycling box) He has used it in the past, but hasn't for months now.

I did find a very old patch of cat pee in DDs room when I moved some furniture, but it was under the furniture so not fresh. Other than that, I've found no pee inside.

Do you think he can hold on that long or should I be looking for pee somewhere?

They don't pee often. If this were any of the cats I've ever had, I would be sure he was waiting to go outside. But there would be that niggling feeling in the back of my head to be sure he had an alternative in the house, just in case. As long as the recycling area doesn't have any loud noises that would frighten him while using the box, or when he's been near the box in the past, it should be fine.

We adopted a cat through the shelter several years ago. It was older, had a history of mild health problems and "didn't show well," so had been at the shelter quite a while. (She basically sat, terrified, in the corner and they couldn't get her out of the cage for anyone to see.) Anyway. We decided to 'foster to adopt,' to see if she would come out of her shell once she was at our house.

We brought her home and she bolted under our bed. And stayed there for four days.

We talked to the shelter and our new vet daily and they kept assuring us that she was okay. Not peeing was one of my biggest concerns - or worse, her peeing under our bed! But everyone kept assuring us that it was normal for cats to do that and that they can go days without going.

So I really wouldn't worry about not going overnight.