Menu

The school nurse just called about my 10yo pdd-nos son that just started school...

:eek:

He is in a TMD class (trainable mentally disabled), but he is educable, higher functioning than the rest. The nurse said one of the more involved boys, Ryan, threw my son out of his chair and twisted him arm behind his back and she thought "might" be broken. I got there as fast as humanly possible!

I was FUMING! but trying to be civil. I have homeschooled him his entire life and they can't keep him safe for three weeks! It's not broken, just very very red and sore. I'll watch it.

They said he doesn't talk at all in there yet and didn't even cry! I saw this Ryan, and he has Down syndrome but major behavior problems. I felt bad for him. The teacher said it always starts as tickling but then he ends up strangling or getting violent??? Ryan's helper was basically screaming at him. It is an AWFUL situation!

My son's iq is in the educable mentally disabled range - and they don't have special ed classes for that. So, his other option was 5th grade with resource. He could never do that - he's at a 1rst grade level at best. But, the principal said on the way out that she did want us to consider a different class for Randy. And that Ryan wouldn't be in the same class until we worked it out.

I think I'm hoping for a regular 1rst grade class w/ resource, speech and ot or something like that. Do you think they would go for that? He hasn't had any of his IEP fulfulled yet: no phonics or HWT. Just math and readalouds so far. YIKES!!!

{{LNC}} one of my dearest friends is going through this with her district. She raised such a stink about her son's IEP not being met that the school district is paying for home tutors and therapy, her choice! It has been very stressful for her, every year begins a new battle. I am so sorry. :(

They should be able to find another placement for him. I'm not sure they could do a 1st grade regular class, but you could ask. The problem I see there is that he would be so much bigger than the other students -- not good.

The school is required to place him in the least restrictive environment that is appropriate for his needs. If they can't provide the right kind of environment in this school, then they may need to place him elsewhere in the district or pay for private placement (not easy to get, but it happens).

Since most people here homeschool, I would advise joining a group for parents of children with PDD-NOS who are using the public school system. http://groups.yahoo.com usually has this kind of group. It can be very helpful to talk to parents who have BTDT.

He's tiny - he was a 24 week preemie and weighed 1lb.2oz. He still has a feeding tube but is the size of a 5-6 year old. He also doesn't talk much and his iq is 55. So, that's why I was thinking 1rst. He can write all of his upper and lower letters (HWT & homeschooling) and can read pretty well! Definately a middle first grade level with phonics.

Sigh!! Thanks for the sympathy!

Are there any private schools in your area that specialize in working with children who closely share your son's issues? If so you may be able to stipulate a "non-public school" placement in your son's IEP. When my son's (Asperger's) school district couldn't provide what I felt to be a suitable educational environment for his needs, this was the route I choose. It wasn't easy to convince the district to pay tuition to send him to a private school, but it was worth the fight. Feel free to PM me if you want.

I'm so sorry about your situation! If I was in your shoes, I would take a lot of pictures of your ds's injuries today. You might want to take him to a doctor to get it documented too. This will give you more leverage to negociate with the school. Try to find an advocate who can come with you to your next meeting with the school. Clearly you need to find a different placement and they might know just how to word a request so that it's approved. You've got the school in an awkward position right now, and you should make the most of it. I know that sounds harsh, but schools in my experience do their best to force parents to accept their proposals whether or not they truly are the best placement for the child. Turnabout is definitely fair play.

My oldest attends a private school for autistic children. It's not 100% aggression free, but my ds has NEVER had anything more than a minor scratch. IMHO, it's the teachers' and aides' duty to intervene to prevent injury to another student even if they might be hurt. Since they failed in their basic duty to physically protect your ds, you have every right to ask for whatever placement you feel is best.

He's tiny - he was a 24 week preemie and weighed 1lb.2oz. He still has a feeding tube but is the size of a 5-6 year old. He also doesn't talk much and his iq is 55. So, that's why I was thinking 1rst. He can write all of his upper and lower letters (HWT & homeschooling) and can read pretty well! Definately a middle first grade level with phonics.

Sigh!! Thanks for the sympathy!

Then 1st grade placement sounds fine to me! I'm surprised they didn't do this in the first place since it sounds less restrictive (not to mention safer!) than the current classroom. I'd ask for an aide and placement in the 1st grade classroom. My bet is they did the current placement to avoid paying for an aide. Since they weren't able to prevent a physical assault, I would think they would be very amenable to your requests now.

I'm so sorry about your situation! If I was in your shoes, I would take a lot of pictures of your ds's injuries today. You might want to take him to a doctor to get it documented too. This will give you more leverage to negociate with the school. Try to find an advocate who can come with you to your next meeting with the school.

ITA! I had an advocate represent my son's interests when I was seeking a change in placement through the IEP process. She made a world of difference. Worth every penny!