What's with the ads?

Photo

If you get bifocals....

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
10 replies to this topic

What's with the ads?

#1 JFSinIL

JFSinIL

Queen of teh Typos ;-)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9868 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 06:26 PM

and, looking through the top half (distance) you move your head from side to side wile looking straight ahead - all is well.

If, looking through the bottom third (reading), you do the same - all is well.

HOWEVER - look through the bit where the progressive lens shifts from distance to reading while turning your head from side-to side and you can get SEA SICK!!!
WHOA! What a TRIP!!! :blink:

#2 Jenny in Atl

Jenny in Atl

Apprentice Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6100 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 07:07 PM

Try Trifocals! :tongue_smilie:

#3 mcconnellboys

mcconnellboys

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10763 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:35 PM

If you wear trifocals, and they slip only oh-so-slightly on your nose while driving, you will lose all sense of balance, depth perception and sight. And when you tear them off in an attempt to prevent a wreck, your eyes will be unable to re-focus and you will remain momentarily blind, even after replacing your old, trusty glasses......

#4 Amy in Orlando

Amy in Orlando

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2203 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 08:37 PM

You people are giving me NO hope. I'm wildly nearsighted and no need for bifocals yet, but I know it's coming. Tell me something good!

#5 mcconnellboys

mcconnellboys

Beekeeping Professor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10763 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:35 PM

If you can hold out until age 50 for lasik, you won't need further revision later on. But you may experience night blindness......

#6 cin

cin

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3501 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:44 PM

This is the reason (well, that and the $$$) that I have the old fashioned lined bifocals. And honestly, I LOVE them.

#7 RoughCollie

RoughCollie

Qualified Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9170 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 09:46 PM

The good news is that if you have bifocals you can take them off to read. All you have to do is make sure you don't sit on them or put them where the dog can get them. I know this from experience.

You people are giving me NO hope. I'm wildly nearsighted and no need for bifocals yet, but I know it's coming. Tell me something good!

#8 Amy in Orlando

Amy in Orlando

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 2203 posts

Posted 19 April 2008 - 10:04 PM

The good news is that if you have bifocals you can take them off to read. All you have to do is make sure you don't sit on them or put them where the dog can get them. I know this from experience.

:lol: OK I'm going to work with this! Thanks RC.

#9 In The Great White North

In The Great White North

Amateur Bee Keeper

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 6561 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 11:08 AM

Do you notice the line? Does it bother you? Were you nearsighted before?

I got bifocals a year or two ago and the dr talked me into the progressive ones. I hate them. It seems like there is one tiny spot that focusses and everything else must be "progressing." Nothing is ever quite in focus.

The dr (who had lines in his trifocals!) said my eyes would adjust to them if I started with progressive but it doesn't really seem like they have.

That and the fact that they are about 1/3 the size of my last glasses (from a LONG time ago:001_smile:) make them really irritating.

#10 Patty Joanna

Patty Joanna

Empress Bee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9557 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:35 PM

This too will pass. Same thing happened to me for the first few days. But after that, my eyes adjusted.

One thing that my eye doctor told me is that you *have* to spend the money on progressive lenses. They are warping an entire lens and it has to be good quality glass and good workmanship.

But that first week was a LOT OF FUN! (not) The part that killed me (almost literally) was learning how to walk up and down stairs. I had to learn to tip my head down and look through the top part of my glasses.

I love the progressives, though. There is always a place I can find to get a good sharp focus.

#11 Janie

Janie

Hive Mind Queen Bee

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 1196 posts

Posted 20 April 2008 - 05:44 PM

The entire top 2/3 (or ever how much you want on top) is distance, and the entire bottom 1/3 is reading. The line is all the way across and it is easy to get accustomed to.

THere's no need to turn your head, just move your eyes. Makes all the difference if you sing in a choir!

Beware, though: EVERY SINGLE optician will do his best to talk a woman out of these. EVERY SINGLE one! Stand fast if you want to try them.