Menu

When to stop formal reading programs?!

3browneyedboys4me

We've been using BJU reading 5 and now, this year 6th grade. I am wondering how long do you think 'formal reading' programs should be used? We've really enjoyed them. They have a lot of content that I would have never thought of teaching my son. I'm only asking b/c as he gets older, his work load is getting longer and just wondering if this might be an area we could 'cut' next year?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bethany

We're also a BJU reading and literature users. BJU reading has been my younger DS's favorite class, and as you said, he learns so much more than reading skills. If you stick with BJU, 7th grade begins their literature series. Literature is a one semester course with Grammar and Writing being taught the other semester. My oldest son is now in 12th taking British literature by DVD. He has learned so much through the BJU literature series including a historical perspective and analysis. I suggest sticking with it. Especially sense it sounds like your DS enjoys it as much as mine.

We dropped formal reading last year for dd12 and ds10, so that would have been 4th and 6th grade. I liked that they would teach literary terms here and there and teach 'who's the main character?', or setting, plot, etc. However, my kids didn't like the chopped up stories they were getting, so we switched to a more WTM version using whole books that corespond to the history they are doing, and if I couldn't find one suitable at the library, then I would choose a classic that was at their reading level. I did have them do a sort of book report so I could tell they actually read it. This year I have chosed a few Progeny Press literature guides to guide us through, and they teach a lot of what the formal reading programs do and more. I still do formal reading for my 2nd graders though, and we'll see how this year goes before I decide whether or not to do it next year. I think that once you stop doing a formal reading program, but still want to study literature, you set yourself up for a more writing intensive assignments versus answering comprehension questions. If your kids like the formal reading program they're doing, I don't see why you would need to switch, but I would make sure they are reading some whole books as well.

We are still at the phonics level (2nd grade), but I really don't like the truncated readers that come with most programs. We're doing A Beka, btw. I am thinking about going with VP's literature program next year. They have study guides that I think will help with literary terms and reading skills.

I think it depends on the child. Unless I were to see some kind of reading problem (either decoding words or comprehension of texts), I'd drop it as soon as the child was reading fluently anything that they come across. For my oldest, this was after kindergarten, but I would guess my younger will be in probably third grade before we drop reading instruction.

I think when reading instruction becomes busywork with no appreciable knowledge or skill gained, then I'd drop it.

We've been using BJU reading 5 and now, this year 6th grade. I am wondering how long do you think 'formal reading' programs should be used? We've really enjoyed them. They have a lot of content that I would have never thought of teaching my son. I'm only asking b/c as he gets older, his work load is getting longer and just wondering if this might be an area we could 'cut' next year?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Bethany

This is the point where we stopped using BJU Reading and began to use novels with discussion and writing assignments. You could use Teaching the Classics before starting the literature. I own BJU 7 lit, and we used it for a short time. There are things I like about it, but also things I really don't like about it. I don't know if we will ever end up finishing it. We are using Figuratively Speaking, CLE Reading 7 and novels I assign. Next year I am thinking of using IEW's Windows to the World.

Shannon

Thanks everyone for your thoughtful replies. I guess to make this decision I should probably look in the 7th grade books. That's probably the only way I will be able to determine if next year will be 'busy work' or contain valuable information. I haven't found 5th or 6th grade to be busy work. I think it's been great.

I appreciate all the responses!

Bethany