Menu

Math Portion SAT--Graphing Calculator?

Best way to learn to use a graphing calculator? Would ds need it on the SAT?

I taught the English portion of the SAT for Princeton Review, but still don't have a clue about the math portion. I do have a helpful book, but I'm still experiencing butterflies about all the college stuff we've done over the last few days!

I have to register ds for the May SAT. So, how do I teach him to use a graphing calc when I never have? Or can you do the test w/o it?

The only reason to use a graphing calculator on the SAT is if that's the calculator the student has used every day in his math classes and therefore it's the calculator with which the student is most comfortable. If the student has not been using a graphing calculator all along, he should not use one on the SAT. The special features of a graphing calculator are not needed for the SAT, and using an unfamiliar calculator would be a handicap. Just let your son take his old faithful calculator to the SAT, and he'll be fine. Our sons hardly touched their calculators on during the test.

Both of my dd's use--and I HIGHLY recommend the TI-30X or TI-30XII-S (solar and battery powered).

This calculator is very easy to just pick up and use. It has several of the same features as the graphing caluclators--but it costs around $15!

Like graphing calculators this one has a multi-line display that actually shows you what you are typing in (the problem not just the answer). This greatly reduces mistakes.

With a bit of practice it is possible to key in a very complex equation without having to use the memory keys or stopping to copy down the answers to different parts before re-entering them.

This week my dd in Geometry was working on formula problems---she had to find the volume of a sphere with a 6in radius--she easily typed in 4/3(pi)6 (cubed) and equals. Everything she typed in was visible on the screen--she checked that she typed in in correctly and then pressed the equal sign...that easy. Division is always shown as a fraction bar...

This calculator is so easy to use you really do not have to look at the manual--it is easy to figure out on your own--just remember that the 2nd button works like a shift key.

My son didn't use his calculator at all on the SAT test (although he had his graphing calculator with him!) But I would recommend that your child learn how to use a graphing calculator - not for the SAT - but just as a helpful instrument that probably will be necessary in higher math!

Myra