Menu

Foerster/Dolciani/Lial/Jacobs Texts?

Guest hswhitney

Guest hswhitney

After spending much time searching through the many forums I have finally narrowed down my search of Algebra 2/Geometry books.

Algebra 2

Foerster Algebra and Trigonometry

Dolciani Algebra and Trigonometry Structure & Method Book 2

Lial Intermediate Algebra

Geometry

Jacobs?

Jurgensen

I am looking for a very rigorous course with thorough explanations. I have seen many comparisons on the Forester/Dolciani/Lial/Jacobs book's in past posts and I was wondering which has the most rigorous approach and also a somewhat self teaching method. Also in reference to the Dolciani books is it necessary to get the books from the 60's and 70's because I have an Algebra book from 90's but have read on here that it isn't regarded as highly as the earlier books. Also I heard that Foerster is lacking in proofs and explaining the why of things while Dolciani tends to explain it in more detail. Which texts are more for independent use and which are more teacher oriented? Also in reference to the DVT for Lial's text where are they available and could someone give me a link to them.Overall I'm looking for books for Geometry and Algebra 2 texts and any help or other suggested texts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I was in the same boat as you recently looking for Algebra II and, after a thorough review, chose Foerster. We have purchased the materials and although my boys have not actively started working through them, they have reviewed them and think they will pretty much be able to do them on their own. Just wanted to let you know, in case you did not, that Math without Borders has an instructional CD to go with the Foerster Algebra II book. I did purchase the CD in case the boys got stuck on anything.

http://www.mathwithoutborders.com/Algebra-II/index.html

Lynn

Here is an algebra text review site which reviews Dolciani and Foerster, among others. It does not review Lial or Jacobs. The Dolciani and Foerster texts are rated very highly; no other program comes close.

http://mathematicallycorrect.com/algebra.htm

My daughter is using the Foerster text for Algebra I along with the Math Without Borders teaching CD-ROM. We have found it to be a winning combo.

They were also made to the SAME standards as far as rigor of concepts. The methods of teaching differ--but the material covered is comparable.

If you decide on Jacobs for Geometry I heavily suggest using the 2nd edition... as the 3rd edition is a 'discovery method' and does not have the rigor--a typical problem in the 3rd edition will say " draw___ and tell me what you think." It is lacking in direction, very little 'teaching' is in the text--only a handfuls of examples that really do not relate to the homework... and there are VERY FEW practical problems for the student to work out. The second edition is quite the opposite! The downside is the lack of a worked-out solutions manual for the 2nd edition.

I've heard the Jurgensen Geometry program is also good--but I do not know how independent it is.

The Lial texts were designed for community college use (although they do offer them for high school use with a different cover)--and you will not find examples online... This is the series I teach out of because of the layout AND the fact that ALL of the teaching is in the student text. The DVTs are optional--again the teaching is all in the text. They might be nice to have on hand--but would not be used/needed on a daily basis. Also note the Lial texts were designed for block/college scheduling--so each lesson is worked over 2 days (just the odds being assigned). I assign ALL of the chapter review problem (and give 2-3 days to work these). I also use the test in the text. All of the answers needed are in the back of the student text.

Guest hswhitney
Here is an algebra text review site which reviews Dolciani and Foerster, among others. It does not review Lial or Jacobs. The Dolciani and Foerster texts are rated very highly; no other program comes close.

http://mathematicallycorrect.com/algebra.htm

My daughter is using the Foerster text for Algebra I along with the Math Without Borders teaching CD-ROM. We have found it to be a winning combo.

Thanks for the website. The review was really helpful. I have purchased a Foerster textbook along with a Dolciani text for comparison and I agree they are both excellent. Overall the Foerster text appears to be a great match for us. I only wish they would of reviewed the older editions of Dolciani books which seem to be much better than the newer editions.

Guest hswhitney

I'm having a hard time finding a Jacobs text book and have heard that it can be very wordy which is not what we're looking for. Are there any other Geometry textbooks that anyone could recommend?

We own both, and after a year of barely surviving Singapore NEM 1 & 2, Foerster's text is like a breath of fresh air. DD scores 100% consistently on all her assignments & quizzes. She's also done a few problem sets out of Dolciani's with great success. Presentation of material makes a significant difference between understanding and struggling through the problem sets.

Dd is thrilled with her math text for next year. I hope we have as much success with geometry the year after before returning to the Foerster's series for pre/calculus or calculus.

Guest hswhitney

Does anyone have any experience with the Jurgensen texts. I have found a '85 edition and was wondering if it loses any of its content and if I'm better off finding a text from '65.

Guest hswhitney
Does anyone have any experience with the Jurgensen texts. I have found a '85 edition and was wondering if it loses any of its content and if I'm better off finding a text from '65.

Anyone compared the older/newer editions of Jurgensen texts. I haven't been able to find a thread about it.