Menu

Can I teach Biology to my HSer and my younger children together?

Am I asking the impossible? This fall my 9th grader will be doing Apologia Biology. Most of her labs will be done at Co-op, but we will have to do some at home. Since I will be teaching or at least supervising her learning Biology, I thought I could fold in my younger children.

So, have any of you found a way to teach science to grammar and logic stage children alongside a highschooler? What I would really like is something like TOG but for science. Since that doesn't exist, what are my options? I know I can teach the seperately, I have the lower levels of Apologia but I would at least like my 6th grader to tag along with his sister.

Science has always been the negelcted subject in this house and I would like to change it so I really need something to keep me on track. Any suggestions besides a whack on my head?

Edited by M&M

Here is what I did (for one year): My older did Apologia Biology (8th or 9th grade), and I had a 4th grader as well. I got Eyewitness books and the like and had the younger one do what the older was doing on an easier level. When we did the labs, the younger drew pictures of what she saw in the microscope, and used big brother's textbook to label them (she loved that!).

My ds will start Apologia Biology in a few weeks and I am going to use some books I already own (Christian Kids Explore Biology, etc...may even purchase Real Science 4 Kids Biology as I own the Chemistry and Physics books and really like them!) to try to have my younger daughter follow along. I was a Biology major in college, so I think I can make this work :) I figure at the minimum she can do the experiments with us and at least from those!

Am I asking the impossible? This fall my 9th grader will be doing Apologia Biology. Most of her labs will be done at Co-op, but we will have to do some at home. Since I will be teaching or at least supervising her learning Biology, I thought I could fold in my younger children.

So, have any of you found a way to teach science to grammar and logic stage children alongside a highschooler? What I would really like is something like TOG but for science. Since that doesn't exist, what are my options? I know I can teach the seperately, I have the lower levels of Apologia but I would at least like my 6th grader to tag along with his sister.

Science has always been the negelcted subject in this house and I would like to change it so I really need something to keep me on track. Any suggestions besides a whack on my head?

Oh, don't tempt me! I've been dreaming of a "TOG for science" for some time now and thinking about the exact same thing!

In the meantime, I'm pondering using Noeo and RS4K and follow along for Biology with the Elders.....or simply not following at all and just letting everyone in on the dissections :)

:lurk5:

Well at least I am not the only one! Btw, I love your blog and your posts have been very helpful as I am in a similar boat with you. I guess I should look at Apologia and see what I can pull together ala TOG....oh my I may never sleep again!

Well at least I am not the only one! Btw, I love your blog and your posts have been very helpful as I am in a similar boat with you. I guess I should look at Apologia and see what I can pull together ala TOG....oh my I may never sleep again!

Singing like Michael Jackson...you wanna be startin' somethin'....I printed up the h.s. Biology lesson plans from Donna Young and all the RS4K, tops and kits I have....maybe...I'll keep you posted :)

I just wanted to reply to Monique so you don't think I am a complete nut :lol:!! My ds started with Apologia General Science in 6th grade, and we did Physical Science this past year. So he has had two years of the more formal Apologia books under his belt. I would definately NOT do the biology book with a 6th grade student. He will turn 13 in September and will technically be in 8th grade. He has also just finished Algebra I as well. You can tell he is my math/science kid. He especially LOVES science. I didn't realize how cooky this sounded until I looked at my kids ages. He is just a little advanced for his age (but I will say if you have a good reader who really wants a traditional science program, you can easily start Apologia General Science in 6th grade).

:lol::lol: Thanks for the clarification! My rising 6th grader is mathy, but since we have not done a lot of science there is no way I would plop him in Biology with his sister (she would hate that).

Thanks for clearing that up for me :001_smile:.

Singing like Michael Jackson...you wanna be startin' somethin'....I printed up the h.s. Biology lesson plans from Donna Young and all the RS4K, tops and kits I have....maybe...I'll keep you posted :)

I cannot wait to see what you come up with :D.