Menu

Is vocabulary necessary...if so what?

My daughter is an avid reader and so her vocabulary seems quite advanced (IMO), so I wasn't sure that I wanted to do a formal vocabulary program with her. However, as she is beginning to read more advanced books and college level non fiction history books, she is encountering a need to look up more words as she reads.

So, should I do a formal vocabulary program? A year or two ago I had her read and learn some of the words in Vocabulary Cartoons that utilize words from the SAT and she at least found them enjoyable. I have looked at Vocabulary from classical roots and was concerned it might be boring (no offense to those that love it) or that she would just be memorizing for the moment, but not really retaining. I always felt that you learn a word best by reading and using it in context, but maybe she just needs to do some memorization as well.

She loves words. Loves to write and uses a thesaurus for pleasure. Has always read the dictionary for fun as a child. But, I can see she needs to continue to expand her vocabulary and I'm wondering if we should do it in a more formal way.

Anyone use Vocabulary for the High School Student or Vocabulary for the College Bound Student? What is it like, I can't find any sample pages online? Any other recommendations?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Danielle

You'd generally start with Ceasar's English Vol. 1 for MCT vocab (at least for gr 5 to 8 or so). It can stand alone just fine. There are 20 lessons, which can be done one each week, so you could do CE1 & then CE2 in one year if you wished. Next comes MCT's Word Within a Word vocab series.

We are on lesson 9 in CE1 and I am very impressed. Retention is 100% and the lessons are very nicely done. For a kid who loves language, MCT vocab should be a real pleasure.