Menu

when the peaks just won't stiffen (cooking question)

so we're trying to make meringue cookies....well the kids are. But they just can't get stiff peaks. All they have is a syrup-y mess.

Is there a way to salvage this?

Pamela

I don't know if you can salvage what you have. But the trick to making stiff meringue is to beat it for what seems like forever. The egg whites should be placed in cold bowl and beaten until white and pretty stiff before adding any other ingredients, then add the other ingredients in small increments while continuing to beat. Also, if any yolk gets into the whites, they will not stiffen like they should. I've never made meringue cookies, so I don't know the specifics, but I can make a mean meringue pie, thanks to my mom who always made us beat the egg whites for at least twice as long as the recipe said.

so we're trying to make meringue cookies....well the kids are. But they just can't get stiff peaks. All they have is a syrup-y mess.

Is there a way to salvage this?

Pamela

did you use a plastic bowl? I learned the hard way that plastic is the worst for getting stiff peaks from my egg whites & meringues.

1. Separate the eggs while cold, but bring the whites to room temperature before you beat them. Make sure there is NO YOLK at all in the whites, and your metal or glass bowl is scrupulously clean.

2. Add a little cream of tartar to stabilize the egg whites. 1/4 tsp. should do it.

3. Use an electric mixer, start on low until the eggs foam, and then 'put the spurs to it'.

4. When you get it to stiff peaks, you will be able to stop the mixer, lift it up, turn it over, and the peaks on the beaters will not fall. Don't overmix, or you will get foam floating in syrup. Yucky.