Menu

Do any of your kids use a journal while reading?

I like the idea of a journal to help you become an active reader. I gave my kids a notebook and told them to write down each day, either while or during their reading (for English or history):

* 3-4 notes of some sort

* 2 interesting/important/new words

* a question about the text

Does anyone have other ideas for how to teach your kids to read with pen in hand? Or other journaling ideas? My teen boys hate to write, and do everything else on the computer, but I'm going to stick to my guns and make them actually write in a notebook for this.

My 15yo son, after trying it today, said, "I prefer being a passive reader. It's a lot easier." Not what I wanted to hear! But I hope it will be helpful in the long run, and especially for college.

I did exactly what you are doing. My son never did grow to like the idea. He did it because it was part of the grade. I'm glad I stuck to my guns and had him do it, I think he learned from it. But he has yet to acknowlege that yes journaling is a fun as well as educational activity. But we still have time...I'm forever hopeful.

that my brain is at the end of my pen. :) Literally, I have take notes to engrave things in my memeory or process them. I cannot explain math without writing it out, so it crosses into non-language thinking/learning as well.

However, although I take notes copiously, I couldn't journal to save my life.

I am really struggling with this, as I am now doing a bible study in which I know it would be of great benefit to me to write down what I learn and what God shows me. If I don't have a record of it, I *will* forget it. So I struggle to do what I believe is good for me.

Cedarmom mentioned journaling being fun...it'll never happen for me. Beneficial, yes. Fun, no. Sigh!

Edited by Valerie(TX)
sorry, this should have been under Cedarmom's post

I had a college professor who required it of us. I hadn't a clue as to what to write and I failed miserably.

In later life, I read the Well-Educated Mind (Bauer) and learned about writing 3-4 sentence summaries of each chapter. Like a narration of sorts. I did that with Jane Eyre and got a lot more out of the book. Totally impressed myself. Now do I do it all the time? No, but I do try to make myself at least do a mental "narration" after I read something. I think it's a good skill to have.

Yes, "passive reading" is much easier, but this is so worth the effort.

Have you read the Well Educated Mind -- the book for grown ups and older kids who want to tackle classic literature? The main task of the reading journal is to summarize each chapter, very briefly, note main characters and to jot down favorite quotes. It is also recommended that you get over the phobia of marking up your book -- underlining sentences, dog earring pages.

I'm getting my ds to start doing this, and he is definitely dubious and resistant. I wish I had been taught this -- it would have made the discussion sections back in college of Literature classes less mysterious!!

If you can find a copy of How to Be a Superstar Student (DVD from the Teaching Company) at your library, then I strongly suggest you watch it. This was one of his main points. He explained exactly how to do this. I thought the first lecture was just OK, but after that the series was WONDERFUL. It was a younger male teaching, so that helped my boys take a greater interest rather than mom says...

Christine

After watching my then-13-yo dd "take notes" during a sermon by illustrating it with cartoons (!), I began giving her a pack of post-it notes to stick to the pages of her literature book, and having her draw pictures of the events that occurred. Later, it became very natural for her to "story board" any literature she read. She'd pull the post-its and stick them in order to a white board in her room when she was writing her reports or essays, and easily access events, characters, or specific details to supplement her writing.

For some students, a journal or notebook is useful, because they think in words, or because they are so unorganized that they would lose individual notecards. Personally, I write all over my books themselves (because of that unorganized thing! LOL!), and use post-it flags, full size notes, and index cards to extract information for further exploration. They stay stuck in my books until I'm ready to write or reread.

After watching my then-13-yo dd "take notes" during a sermon by illustrating it with cartoons (!), I began giving her a pack of post-it notes to stick to the pages of her literature book, and having her draw pictures of the events that occurred.

My daughter is another one who takes notes with pictures as well as words. It seems to work quite well for her even though the concept is quite foreign to me. Of course, I'm the one who causes gales of laughter from the rest of the Pictionary players (or derision if it's a partner), "What do you mean that's a cow? It looks like an ant!"

Regards,

Kareni