Menu

How long are you contagious after the regular flu

When my dd had influenza in March the doctor gave her two anti-virals. I'm not sure if this is true or not but he said that since she was on the anti-virals should wouldn't be contagious after a few days. After reading everything about the flu lately it seems to me like it is more like 7 days.

Last Sunday my nephew got really sick and they diagnosed him with influenza on Monday. (not sure whether or not it was swine flu but the doctor suspected that it could be). His fever is gone but he still wasn't feeling well today and didn't go to school all week. His sister was sent home from school the following day because she was vomiting and had a fever. The next day she felt better so her mom sent her back to school.

This upcoming weekend we are getting going to my inlaws for brunch. My husband just assumed that this family wouldn't be going, especially since my father-in-law isn't healthy. I just got off the phone with my mother-in-law and she says that they might be coming.

Not only am I worried about my father-in-law but I really don't want to expose my family to it. It doesn't really matter to me whether or not it is swine flu but I really don't want my kids getting sick right now. We have so much going on in the week that is important and I don't want my kids to get sick and potentially miss it.

Most likely has it been long enough since they got the flu even though my nephew still isn't feeling well. My dd took over a week to feel better but the doctor implied that she wasn't contagious because of being on the anti-viral. My nephew didn't have the antiviral.

Most likely has it been long enough since they got the flu even though my nephew still isn't feeling well.

If he's still not feeling well, chances are pretty good that he's still contagious. I've read that you can remain contagious for 7-10 days, depending on the type of flu. Additionally, other members of the family could still get sick and could be contagious without having exhibited symptoms yet.

My biggest question is... why would they be going out at all if their son is still sick? That seems foolish to me. Also, your in-laws should matter-of-factly tell them that they can't take risks with your fil's health, and that the family is welcome to visit in another week or so.

Cat

PS. If your in-laws won't ask the other family not to come for brunch, perhaps you should consider staying at home and rescheduling for another day. I wouldn't want to expose my family, either.

When my dd had influenza in March the doctor gave her two anti-virals. I'm not sure if this is true or not but he said that since she was on the anti-virals should wouldn't be contagious after a few days. After reading everything about the flu lately it seems to me like it is more like 7 days.

Last Sunday my nephew got really sick and they diagnosed him with influenza on Monday. (not sure whether or not it was swine flu but the doctor suspected that it could be). His fever is gone but he still wasn't feeling well today and didn't go to school all week. His sister was sent home from school the following day because she was vomiting and had a fever. The next day she felt better so her mom sent her back to school.

This upcoming weekend we are getting going to my inlaws for brunch. My husband just assumed that this family wouldn't be going, especially since my father-in-law isn't healthy. I just got off the phone with my mother-in-law and she says that they might be coming.

Not only am I worried about my father-in-law but I really don't want to expose my family to it. It doesn't really matter to me whether or not it is swine flu but I really don't want my kids getting sick right now. We have so much going on in the week that is important and I don't want my kids to get sick and potentially miss it.

Most likely has it been long enough since they got the flu even though my nephew still isn't feeling well. My dd took over a week to feel better but the doctor implied that she wasn't contagious because of being on the anti-viral. My nephew didn't have the antiviral.

Infants and young children shed virus for 7- 10 days

Older children and adults 5- 7 days

Immunocompromised can shed virus for weeks to months

It sounds like the brunch will be almost 2 weeks after he got sick. He would be very, very unlikely to be contagious at that point.

It sounds like the brunch will be almost 2 weeks after he got sick. He would be very, very unlikely to be contagious at that point.

Perry, perhaps I misunderstood the original post, but she said,

Last Sunday my nephew got really sick and they diagnosed him with influenza on Monday.
and
This upcoming weekend we are getting going to my inlaws for brunch.

I interpreted that as the boy having gotten sick last weekend, and that the brunch is this weekend (Mother's Day weekend, which would be only about a week since he became ill.) That's why I thought the boy could still be contagious, particularly since he is still not feeling well. I was also concerned that other members of that family could still come down with the flu, and may well be contagious this weekend, even if they aren't exhibiting symptoms yet.

Are you thinking that the brunch is next weekend (the weekend after Mother's Day weekend?) If that's the case, I agree that the boy won't be contagious by then, but I have a feeling we read the original post in two different ways. Hopefully, hpymomof3 will post again to clarify.

Sorry if I misunderstood the original post! :001_smile:

Cat

Thanks!

That's exactly what I thought you meant, but when Perry said it had been 2 weeks, I figured I'd probably misread your post.

I wouldn't take the chance of going and possibly getting sick. The other family should stay home, but if they won't, I would.

Cat