Menu

Teach yourself first--then the kids.

Fortunately, I ran across these words of wisdom at the very beginning of my homeschooling journey. As a new homeschooling teacher, I was so glad to be told that the curriculum out there is primarily for me--not the kids.

And that as long as I'm reading through what needs to be taught before I teach it, I'm ahead! (Even if it's only five minutes!)

Now that I am no longer a "new" homeschooling teacher and my kids have grown a bit (and I know them so much better than when we began) and I'm no longer so anxious about the whole thing, I can pick curriculum slightly alien to me and better suited to them--but when it comes to stuff I'm scared to teach--the first priority will always be a curriculum which will hold my hand first.

I just wanted to pass that along today.

It's a great reminder. THANK YOU! (I was also realizing today that I need to be more proactive about reading through the books my dd brings home from the library. Today I was thinking about when I was her age (10 1/2) and some of the inappropriate books I was reading and MY mom didn't have a CLUE!)

My husband helped me realize this. I was debating grammar/ language arts programs. I was debating between one where I just hand it to ds and one where I would have to be involved. He told me to get the one where I would have to be involved because then I would have to actually learn grammar also:tongue_smilie:. Let's just say that the gaps in my own education are showing greatly in this area.

Beth