Menu

Paypal question

So I have not used the for sale board before but am seriously considering it now. How safe is paypal? I keep getting e-mails from 'paypal' saying my account is messed up, or I had someone trying to get into it so I need to re log on. I know this is a scam, but what about when I actually have an account? How do I know when it is real or not? I feel like a little kid standing at the end of a dock trying to work up the courage to jump into the lake when I know it is going to be freezing.

I don't trust any emails FROM Paypal...well I do, but always LOG INTO your PayPal account. NEVER click on a LINK in an email that claims to be from PayPal. PayPal will notify you of account info, etc. But always type "PayPal" into a browser line. Don't click on links. It is just safer.

That being said, I have never had a bad Paypal experience. In fact, I had a successful refund even when I had an eBay transaction go south, so for me, even the cancel function has worked without a hitch.

So you link it to a bank account and the money comes from there or do you load it like an EZ pass account where every so often they take money from your account to cover things? Can they access your bank account? What is to stop them from draining your account? These are the things that make me nervous. As well as the spammers. Thanks.

I have had a paypal account that I use regularly for the last 6 years with no problems at all. I have gotten some of the spoof e-mails, but I know that paypal will NEVER send me anything asking for me to click a link and enter information. When I get those, I send them on to spoof@paypal.com for investigation. I have only gotten 2 such e-mails in the last 6 years.

I have a premier account, so I can accept credit card payments (which is a plus when you deal with e-bay). It takes a "fee" each time I receive a payment, though, which is the only downside. I also have a paypal debit card so I have instant access to my money in that account. :)

MY husband has his Paypal account attached to our bank account. This makes it easy for him to deposit any "Paypal balance" into our account, or when he doesnt have anything in his Paypal account, he can still buy things because he has the option to pull money from the bank account.

My Paypal account, however, is not linked to a bank account. It works for me, but I have no way to withdrawl the money from my account or put more into it. I can only spend it online, and my balance grows only when I sell books to someone.

This being said, we have had our accounts for 5-6years, and have never had any problems. Actually Paypal has "saved our bacon" (for lack of a better term) when a couple Ebay deals have not gone well. They refunded our money when the seller would not.

Hope this helps