Menu

Umbrella school decisions

Well, it's come time for me to actually make up my mind about our umbrella school.

We've been using HomeLife (which is an online based CRS). Basically they just keep a transcript running for you, and keep the LEA off your back. However, I want an umbrella that is a tiny bit more involved and does testing, field trips, etc. I belong to a HS group that does some trips, but most seem geared towards the younger children in the group.

My dilemma is this: There is a CRS that has good support, testing, and trips. But it only goes until the 8th grade. There is another that isn't quite so involved, but it DOES do testing, good record keeping, and has the option to earn a diploma in high school through 'home study' while allowing us to still choose our own curriculum.

So, I wonder if I should go with the more appealing CRS and switch in two years when my oldest is in 9th...or go with the less appealing one for consistancy?

Anyone have any thoughts?

Where in TN are you?

Is there a chance that the umbrella school that only goes to 8th will ever add 9-12?

Either way, I'd be inclined to go with the school that is more appealing and switch later if you must. Good luck making your decision.

I'm just north of Knoxville. I would LOVE it if this one would add 8th later. They've been around awhile though...not sure it's in their plans. I'm looking primarily at First Baptist Powell, and Knoxville Christian.

My secret hope is that our current church will turn their pretty new building into a Christian Academy AND umbrella too. :D

I've been with Gateway, Family Christian and Homelife and Homelife beats the others by miles on the things that count. They have saved my bacon more than a couple of times. The latest time was when my daughter's college misplaced a transcript that was needed for a major, major scholarship competition. The missing transcript was discovered AFTER the deadline. HLA came through and faxed them a new transcript immediately, as in while I was on the phone with them!!

So, HLA gets my vote every time.

Can you not test through a co-op or support group? Personally I would rather get support through other organizations and stay with the school that has a track record of covering the important bases when it comes to record keeping.

I've been with Gateway, Family Christian and Homelife and Homelife beats the others by miles on the things that count. They have saved my bacon more than a couple of times. The latest time was when my daughter's college misplaced a transcript that was needed for a major, major scholarship competition. The missing transcript was discovered AFTER the deadline. HLA came through and faxed them a new transcript immediately, as in while I was on the phone with them!!

So, HLA gets my vote every time.

Can you not test through a co-op or support group? Personally I would rather get support through other organizations and stay with the school that has a track record of covering the important bases when it comes to record keeping.

What did you do for diplomas? Have you had any trouble in that department with college? I know that many government/childcare jobs will not accept a HS diploma (although there is legislation in the works for that) That is a huge reason for me to get into a local CRS, and the biggest I wanted to drop HomeLife.

What did you do for diplomas? Have you had any trouble in that department with college? I know that many government/childcare jobs will not accept a HS diploma (although there is legislation in the works for that) That is a huge reason for me to get into a local CRS, and the biggest I wanted to drop HomeLife.

We had no trouble with college and in fact Sarah was accepted as one of only 15 entering freshman into the uppermost honors dept at her school; a state school at that.

As far as I know there are no private or TN state colleges who are looking cross-eyed at homeschoolers. Once a student has completed college I believe they no longer have the issues you mentioned, either. It's the cases of graduates who do not complete a degree (and certification programs do not count in our crazy state) who are finding themselves unable to get hired. This applies to homeschoolers AND to private school graduates if the private school is not accredited (or recognized as worthy by the state in whatever capacity they see fit; I assume it is accreditation). So homeschoolers and non-accredited church related schools are both having problems seeing their diplomas accepted by an agency which receives any state funding.

Apparently the Tennessee Board of Regents understand something about the caliber of these graduates that the Tennessee Dept. of Education can't see. Or maybe the Board of Regents is interested in retaining qualified students and the Dept of Education is just trying to push through their own agenda because they created a series of test that their own students can't pass and now they are mad about it. But of course that is just my opinion about it!!:glare:

Therein lies my trouble..lol. We aren't pushing our girls to attend college. We just don't feel it's mandatory. (we have one that will probably attend, because she wants a veterinary degree) I would like for them to at least be able to get a job with their diploma only...without the stigma attached GED.

Therein lies my trouble..lol. We aren't pushing our girls to attend college. We just don't feel it's mandatory. (we have one that will probably attend, because she wants a veterinary degree) I would like for them to at least be able to get a job with their diploma only...without the stigma attached GED.

Okay, gotcha. But double check the CRS for accreditation because the smaller ones are under the same microscope as HLA, FCA and Gateway.

What we need is for some appropriate legislation to go through. I am perfectly happy with the CRS option as long as the diplomas are honored, but I feel for people who don't want to be signed up with a religious entity. The homeschool laws in TN are whacked!

I know, it's crazy. I've been watching the latest Bill, hoping it will pass.

Okay, gotcha. But double check the CRS for accreditation because the smaller ones are under the same microscope as HLA, FCA and Gateway.

What we need is for some appropriate legislation to go through. I am perfectly happy with the CRS option as long as the diplomas are honored, but I feel for people who don't want to be signed up with a religious entity. The homeschool laws in TN are whacked!