Menu

Kindle DX Announced!

Bigger screen - another model, not a replacement for the 2.

http://www.macrumors.com/2009/05/06/amazon-launches-kindle-dx-ebook-reader-with-9-7-screen/

It's up at Amazon too - pre-order with delivery this summer.

There are rumors of some sort of device from Apple in the 10" arena, it will be interesting to see what plays out!

(i have money for neither - just love keeping track of them!)

LOL, I'm excited about the Kindle DX and the new 10" something from Apple too!

If my kids can go to college without lugging around back-breaking pounds of textbooks, I will be a happy mom! I hope the DX is very successful!

(I'm hoping Apple comes out with a 10" touchscreen tablet computer that has access to 3G and can run the Skype app in the background... like a tablet netbook type thing. VoIP instead of a cellular phone plan. Oh, and a choice of carrier from which to buy the data plan. That's not too much to dream for, right?) :tongue_smilie:

(I'm hoping Apple comes out with a 10" touchscreen tablet computer that has access to 3G and can run the Skype app in the background... like a tablet netbook type thing. VoIP instead of a cellular phone plan. Oh, and a choice of carrier from which to buy the data plan. That's not too much to dream for, right?) :tongue_smilie:

ONly if your dream is like mine - all that and under $500! LOL!!

My Kindle 2 is supposed to arrive today. Did I make a mistake? Should I send it back and get the DX?

What do you intend to use your Kindle for?

For me, the Kindle 2 is perfect the way it is. (Well, it could have folders for organizing books... maybe it's not not perfect yet...) I like the smaller size that can easily fit into my purse (but not as small as the iTouch).

But if I was a college student, I'd want the bigger screen on the DX so I could read text and look at graphs/tables etc, at the same time. The DX can also apparently receive pdf documents without formatting errors. The K2 has to reformat pdfs so that they can appear on the smaller screen... and sometimes they don't come through very well.

Here is the DX's user guide so you can compare features!

What do you intend to use your Kindle for?

For me, the Kindle 2 is perfect the way it is. (Well, it could have folders for organizing books... maybe it's not not perfect yet...) I like the smaller size that can easily fit into my purse (but not as small as the iTouch).

But if I was a college student, I'd want the bigger screen on the DX so I could read text and look at graphs/tables etc, at the same time. The DX can also apparently receive pdf documents without formatting errors. The K2 has to reformat pdfs so that they can appear on the smaller screen... and sometimes they don't come through very well.

Here is the DX's user guide so you can compare features!

It really depends on if you want the bigger size Heather. I would think for your personal reading the K2 would be perfect. But i agree, if i was doing texts on it for school - i'd want the bigger one. Is your DH getting one too at some point? THen you can have one of each :D

One other thing - i notice it does Audible books - does the K2 play them?

I'd open it and try it out during the exchange/return period. Maybe go ahead and put yourself on the pre-order list?