Menu

FLL 2 lesson 191

We have been cruising along in FLL 2 (or so I thought) until we come upon lesson 191 today. In this lesson, there is a short paragraph about Robin Hood. The student is supposed to identify the part of speech of each word in the paragraph. What a train wreck.... DD7 only got a few correct. Has this happened to anybody else, and if so, what did you do?

We hit that kind of bump a couple of weeks ago with a similar assignment. It was lesson 155. Anyway, I was quietly freaking out and we stopped for a few days to do some adjective/adverb review. Then I went back and re-read the text more closely and saw the part that said not to freak out if you can't get all the way through the whole story identifying every adjective and adverb. :001_huh:

I wouldn't look at lesson 191 as a test, but as a lesson. ;) If she can't get them all herself, just go through slowly and patiently, helping her remember why "a" is an article, "woman" is a noun, and "crept" is an action verb.

My thoughts:

We haven't gotten there yet, but I have just received FLL 3 and from looking it over, it seems there will be many opportunities for reinforcement later on.

Perhaps this is the first exposure and of course dc will not get it the first time? This was my experience from FLL 1 when we came across a lesson that integrated many lessons for the first time. For example, the lessons on types of sentences (statements, commands, questions, exclamations) we needed some extra work on that, so I just spent a few days pointing out those sentences in their read aloud time and then asking them to identify for themselves after they got the hang of it. Perhaps you could do that with other paragraphs and parts of speech. Putting things together can be tricky at first.

We just finished this lesson. We read through it and I asked him what part of speech each word was and if he didn't know I just told him what it was and why. Toward the end he was just calling everything a noun. LOL I thought he did pretty good considering he does have language delays (though he reads at a much higher level). Frankly, this would be hard for most adults.

I also remind myself that these are lessons for you know...learning. :lol:

I always find that when I do a lesson (in any subject) and my ds doesn't get it, I find myself saying in my head, "Crud, now what?"

I've also told myself that I don't think Jesse Wise expects kids to have mastered these skills by the end of FLL 2.