Menu

Ancients: What are your Top 5 Grammar Stage & Top 5 Logic Stage books?

JudoMom

We're starting our second rotation this year. We'll be doing a MOH/SOTW combo. I'll have a 5th, 4th, 2nd, K/1st, & PreK/K-4er.

For our first round, we did minimal (I could say none, but I'm pretty sure we did some in the beginning) extra reading. I'd like to assign my older 2 boys 4-5 independent reads this year, my middle son 2-3 books, and I'd also like to have some picture books to read aloud, and possibly 1-2 chapter books to read aloud.

So what would your top 5 grammar and your top 5 logic stage books be?

Edited by JudoMom

I am not sure about your older children's reading levels but these were big hits here-

Joel, Boy of Galilee

The Groovy Greeks

The Rotten Romans

Detectives in Togas

Mystery of the Roman Ransom

All of the Roman Mystery books

If your older ones are reading well Bethlehem Books has some great books!

For reading Aloud I like

The Golden Goblet

Black Ships Before Troy and The Wanderings of Odysseus or The Trojan War (Coolidge) or The Tale of Troy (Green) are all good

The Gods and Goddesses of Olympus (Aliki) if you want just a great introduction

D'Aulaires Book of Greek Myths if you want a lot of stories!

The Bronze Bow

I know there were some my younger ones liked last time....my brain is going! If I can remember them I will post later.

You may want to preview the Roman Mysteries series if it's the one I'm thinking of - the one by Lawrence. I read a few of them and found that later books, where the kids were older, had some relationship content that was more for a teenager imo.

My favorites for read-alouds would be:

D'aulaire's Book of Greek Myths

Orchard Book of Roman Myths

Green's Tales of Ancient Egypt

Black Ships Before Troy

Wanderings of Odysseus

Great readers for your older 2dc are:

The Golden Goblet

Mara, Daughter of the Nile

Detectives in Togas

Mystery of the Roman Ransom

Hittite Warrior

Archimedes and the Door of Science

I can't comment on picture books for your youngers because I didn't really use many - bad library and didn't want to invest in a lot of books that we'd read in a day and not look at again.

Both Stages: Tales of Ancient Egypt by Roger Lancelyn Green

These stories were carved into temples and tombs, written on papyrus, and parchment in Ancient Egypt and Greece. Together they cover a written history of over 2,000 years, the stories being told as far back as 5,000 years ago.

Green brings to the stories in this volume not just his gifts as a storyteller, but also his particular ability to bring sense and clarity to a formerly confusing and scattered mass of legend.

My three favorites:

The Great Queen Hatshepsut, which tells how the god Amen-Ra came to form Hatshepsut and placed her into her mother's body.

The Story of the Greek Princess: Helen of Troy escapes from Paris and seeks shelter in Egypt.

The Girl with the Rose Red Slippers: Also known as The Egyptian Cinderella. (It was based on the real Egyptian Queen, Rhodopis, who was a Greek slave who married a Pharoah.)

This book was very well written, IMO, but you might note that I tend to particularly enjoy books written in this time period (1950s) because that is what I have grown used to.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

Picture book

Most of these were picked for early elementary, but are good for both stages (with the exception of Good Times Travel Agency), IMO b/c I really enjoyed them and learned from them too.

I really enjoyed Seeker of Knowledge. I love the way it was written with the hieroglyphs interspersed.

You Wouldn't Want to Be a Sumerian Slave, and Adventures in Ancient Egypt (Good Times Travel Agency) are the books that got DD interested in ancient history and reading independently. We have had some of the others from those series, and these are the best of the bunch. You Wouldn't Want to Be a Sumerian Slave has more information on Mesopotamia than I have found in any other book. It ties in nicely with the story of Abram and the story of Sargon.

Lugalbanda is wonderful too, this is believed to be the oldest written story available to us today. Lugalbanda, the main character, is believed to be the father of Gilgamesh.

For early peoples, I really recommend First Painter. I love the way it describes the dawn of creativity and the artwork is beautiful.

I got the other book by Green, Greek Heroes, I am not sure about it yet... I haven't read it all, and it needs to be read in order to make sense, which I failed to do. This is for upper grades, I think.

The Illustrated Book of Myths is great because it has so many. It covers nearly every civilization, not just the big 3. I like the way it has Archaelogical evidence in the margins and DD really enjoys the illustrations. I have had to glue some pages together though. Scary stuff.

I was also thrilled to find Mufaro's Beautiful Daughters. This is based on a folktale told by native people living near ruins in Zimbabwe. I was glad to find an Ancient African tale that was neither Egyptian nor about Anansi.

Edited by Lovedtodeath

(L)= Leveled Reader

Another must-have for grammar stage Egyptians is the Usborne Beginner's Egyptians (L). It covers everything, taking in the scope of several other books put together, and has a great overhead view of the Nile Valley at the beginning. It comes in a kid kit with projects for only $9!

The Great Alexander the Great by Joe Lasker is perfect for grammar stage. I love this book.

Seven Wonders of the Ancient World by Mary Hoffman.

Archaeologists

Dig For Clues (L)

Kate Duke

Pyramids and Mummies (L)

Seymour Simon (DD loved this one. It covers a lot of information and she learned a lot.)

We’re Sailing Down the Nile

A Journey Through Egypt

Laurie Krebs

(A rhythmic story that is well-suited for the youngest students about a class field trip to all of the landmarks on the Nile. A section in the back has additional information that students of all ages would benefit from.)

Fa Mulan: The Story of a Woman Warrior is another that DD gobbled up.

I got The Four Questions and All About Passover for reading after the exodus.

I might have more later. I am just starting into early Greece (Crete). I am planning a picture book supplement to my curruculum. I am glad to see interest in picture books!

Edited by Lovedtodeath

I've only done Ancients with littles (1st and PK), so that's all I can recommend for. We LOVED:

Mummies Made in Egypt

Pepi and the Secret Names

D'Aulaire's Greek Myths

Black Ships Before Troy

The Wanderings of Odysseus

Theras and His Town

Roman Myths (McCaughrean)

The one book that I'd planned that didn't pan out was In Search of a Homeland. The text was too long and the pictures too...abstract for my PK son to sit through.