Menu

Well, the Oz books finally got too weird for us...

when the Wizard of Oz cut the Sorcerer of the glass city of the Mangaboos in half, finding that he (along with all the other Mangaboos) was vegetable, not meat. The other Mangaboos hurried to plant him so his two halves would sprout new sorcerers before they wilted or rotted. The picture for this event was what made my boys not want to read anymore Oz books.

They were fine with Princess Langwidere changing her head for another in her collection of heads. :confused: They were the ones who kept wanting to read more Oz books, and since they liked them so much, we read them for fun.

My dad said that most kids he knew back in the '50's weren't allowed such strange and scary literature, not even Grimm's. Do you know anyone who says the same?

My dad said that most kids he knew back in the '50's weren't allowed such strange and scary literature, not even Grimm's. Do you know anyone who says the same?

Well, my grandmother gave me copies of Grimm's and Andersen's Fairy Tales and she had been a teacher, so I don't know that I would go so far as to say that most kids weren't allowed such strange and scary literature. However, perhaps your dad wasn't allowed to read them.;)

OTOH- I didn't read those to my oldest when he was little. He read OZ, Wonderland, Peter Pan, Grimm's, Andersen's, Perault's, and other such fantasy in JrHigh along with all old and new stories/ books that included dragons. This led to a love of fantasy/ sci fi.

Here is a less violent stories of a little girl that was read to me as a child- The Adventures of Mabel by Harry Thurston Peck. It was one of my very favorites.

HTH-

Mandy

We read several in the series last fall. I was really surprised by how weird they were. Dd read a few more on her own, when dh and I tired of them.

It really makes you wonder about the author, huh? My kids thought the weirdness was funny up until this book, Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz. Maybe in a few years they'll want to pick them back up again.

Wow, I never knew these books were so weird. I'm not sure if that would be a good thing or a bad thing for my dc. I had planned on buying them, but maybe we'll visit a library while we are in the states and look through them first. Thanks for the heads up.

Danielle

I used to be a HUGE fan of these books growing up.

However . . . some of them are definitely better than others!

I loved Ozma of Oz and Emerald City of Oz. Dorothy and the Wizard of Oz was just plain weird. ;)

And another favorite of mine was Rinkitink of Oz (is that the exact title?), which is a bit of a stand-alone story and delightful.