Menu

I HATE Science...but we have to do it. What to do for HS

Hi all,

I have a bright 12 yo who is doing 7th-8th grade level work, so I'm starting to look into HS Science (my nemesis).

I realize that most of us just do APologia or BJU, since they're the biggies out there.

My daughter couldn't care less about Science. We both enjoy Astronomy, but you can't take Astronomy for 4 years straight. She hates experiments and thinks they're nothing but time-killers. (I have to agree for the most part.)

So, which would you do if you were in my position? The prob is, I feel you should stick with a particular publisher throughout HS and not switch around...

I'm worried that Apologia will talk us to death, and that BJU is too teacher intensive for my tastes--esp since I just *love* biology, chemistry, etc myself. (NOT) ALso, it looks to me like BJU is crammed with info to the point that your little student will prob do a complete dump at the end of the year and forget about 99.9% of what they *learned*. (Learned...a funny word. They do so great on tests, but ask them about what they learned 2 years ago and they can't tell you anything. Sigh.)

Okay, I'm through grousing over expensive courses that profit little, IMHO.

I've also considered just having her take Science classes at the Community College, but she has to be 16 to take classes. Sigh.

I know, you're wondering what I'm rambling on about. I just want to hear from anyone who has a student similar to mine (bright but tolerates science...barely). I've tried to get her to browse the samples from Apologia and BJU, and she just shrudges and says, "Don't care...".

Thanks,

Kim

Good morning.

First, I disagree with your premise that "most of us" do Apologia or BJU. Many homeschoolers choose neither. Some go with more typical public school texts, some use college texts, others cobble together courses around "real" books, Teaching Company Lectures, etc.

And the latter may be just the ticket for you to consider. Nan in Mass has written about using the MODG syllabus for more of a Natural History course which includes biological illustration. This might be more appealing.

As one who loves and appreciates science, I am not sure how anyone could dismiss all of the branches of science. Admittedly, some things appeal to me more than others. If you and daughter enjoy astronomy, consider a general physical science course for a foundation or Conceptual Physics. Geology is an option, as is Environmental Science. You can think outside of the biology/chemistry/physics box.

I think that the first thing you two should do is discover science in general. Might I suggest that you read Discover magazine to learn about what is happening in science. Or download the Science Friday podcasts from NPR. Alternately, there is NOVA and Nature on PBS, with many programs available online. You might be surprised that science is far more interesting than a dry textbook makes it appear.

Best,

Jane

Thanks Jane, for the suggestions. I'm trying hard to "think outside the box" but I may be assuming incorrectly that you have to have Chemistry, Bio, Physics, etc. If that isn't true, then that truth opens up a lot of doors for us.

Is that what you're saying?

Thanks again!

Kim

PS: I should have said, "I HATE lab... " :) There are many areas of Science that I find interesting, altho the real "meat" of Science can be a bit dry, sometimes.

In my experience, most of the lab/experiment results I could have figured out without going through the time-consuming lab stuff. My husband agrees; even in college he said the labs were a waste of his time and totally unnec. Science is mostly math, IMO. My college Astronomy class was about 80% math. Sometimes I think we'd be better off focusing on higher math in HS and not visiting real science until the last 2 years of HS. But that's me.

http://www.winterpromise.com/science.html

WinterPromise has some programs that could be used in leui of more traditional courses. Middle ds will be using their Human Body & Forensics course next year.

Here is what he has used so far.

2007- 2008

Physical Science (1 credit w/ labs using Apologia)

Biology (1 credit w/ labs Holt Visualizing Life)

2008-2009

Oceanography (1/2 credit using WP S&S w/ 5 Units of Apologia Marine Biology),

Astronomy (1/2 credit using WP S&S w/ DK Universe:The Definitive Visual Guide, The Story of Astronomy, George's Secret Key to the Universe, and other stuff)

Conceptual Physics (the first 20 chapters)

Next year, in addition to Human Anatomy and Forensics, he will be finishing Conceptual Physics. He will also be using K'Nex Roller Coaster Physics for labs.

WP's Human Body and Forensics includes-

DK's Encyclopedia of the Human Body

Body by Design

Start Exploring Gray's Anatomy- A Fact Filled Coloring Book

The Forensic Casebook

Crime Scene Investigations- Real Life Science Labs for Grades 6-12

He used Apologia Physical Science because that is what the tutorial was using and Physical Science was the only thing that he was interested in taking that period. He used the 5 oceanography chapters from Apologia's Marine Biology because we already owned the book. I keep trying Apologia, because it does seem like everyone uses and likes the texts. We don't with the exception of the Marine Biology- different author.

None of his science thus far has been math intensive. We are saving those for his last two years at home.

There have been some other threads-

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84406&highlight=science+non-textbook

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75300&highlight=living+biology

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82163&highlight=science+non-textbook

HTH-

Mandy

I think that the first thing you two should do is discover science in general. Might I suggest that you read Discover magazine to learn about what is happening in science. Or download the Science Friday podcasts from NPR. Alternately, there is NOVA and Nature on PBS, with many programs available online. You might be surprised that science is far more interesting than a dry textbook makes it appear.

:iagree: Actually I agree with everything Jane wrote, but the above is where you should begin because science is so much more than what is found in text books.

I also heartily recommend the book A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. He is not a scientist but a writer who spent three years reading and asking questions of scientists because he realized he knew nothing about the world and wanted to learn. This book is the result and it is a fascinating and highly entertaining account of everything from chemistry to astronomy to evolution to the scientists who have made the great discoveries. Don't discount the book if you don't agree with evolution -- it is the last section of the book and you could skip it.

Also, if you have a local Natural History museum or zoological society, check to see what kinds of classes they offer for teens and adults.

We've done Project Feederwatch through Cornell University for 2 years now, and they have some free lesson plans for homeschoolers. It is the real work of science -- observing, classifying, carefully reporting. Check it out at http://www.birds.cornell.edu/pfw/

If your dd is college bound she will need lab based high school science courses. Many homeschoolers I know wind up taking those at local community colleges, but there are courses that work at home. In the mean time keep science interesting and fun.

I've also considered just having her take Science classes at the Community College, but she has to be 16 to take classes. Sigh.

Age 16 or high school junior statue is usually required for taking courses at cc in general. Perhaps you may ask them if they have any exceptions to allow younger aged but college bound.

First, I disagree with your premise that "most of us" do Apologia or BJU. Many homeschoolers choose neither.

Yes, my daughter is in the neither camp too.

I'm trying hard to "think outside the box" but I may be assuming incorrectly that you have to have Chemistry, Bio, Physics, etc. If that isn't true, then that truth opens up a lot of doors for us.

You do not necessarily have to do Chemistry, Biology, and Physics. That's the beauty of homeschooling! At home in 9th and 10th, my daughter did Conceptual Physical Science with Hewitt's book of that title and Chemistry with Ebbing's book along with the MicroChem Kit for lab. In 11th and 12th grades, she took science at the local community college: Geology, Rocks and Minerals, and Environmental Science.

I also heartily recommend the book A Short History of Nearly Everything by Bill Bryson. He is not a scientist but a writer who spent three years reading and asking questions of scientists because he realized he knew nothing about the world and wanted to learn. This book is the result and it is a fascinating and highly entertaining account of everything from chemistry to astronomy to evolution to the scientists who have made the great discoveries. Don't discount the book if you don't agree with evolution -- it is the last section of the book and you could skip it.

This is a great book! And I agree with Jenn that it is highly entertaining.

Regards,

Kareni

I assume most colleges do require lab work for at least some of the science courses, but that doesn't mean that a homeschooler must stay inside a room for lab work.

biology and ecology really lend themselves to outside lab work, but I know of a hs physics teacher who took his class to an amusement park to study forces and accelleration, complete with homemade(?) measuring devices.

A biology class might bring in insects to observe for 45 minutes for a lab. You might select observing birds at your bird feeder, deer or what ever animal you chose, even ones at the zoo. Speaking of zoos, I know of at least one that has a 2-week long camp where the teens do track animals and learn other means scientists use to learn about animals. I'd count that as a lab. Earth Watch also has projects where volunteers help scientists do actual field work. It costs a lot, but is tax deductable and scholarships are available for some groups. They also have special teen trips. Or you might do a study of a patch of woods, or see what types of soils produce the best tomatoes.

Or you might design an experiment to test for the longest lasting exterior paint before you repaint your house. Or which brand of flour has the most gluten for bread making.

Labs don't have to be boring, pre determined demos. I would include a few of the traditional class room labs just to learn how to use a microscope, basic types of lab equipment and lab techniques just incase a college science course is required.

Labs are not just for learning the specific concept that is being tested.

Labs help you learn to hypothesize, organize, observe, come to conclusions. They teach you the importance of detail, the importance of patience, the importance of thinking logically.

These are important things in all areas of life, not just science. What is learned by performing labs is multi-diciplinary.