Menu

What kind of pencil sharpener should I get?

I'm tired of being cheap hand-help pencil sharpeners that stop working after a month or two. For next year, I want to buy a nice pencil sharpener but don't know what I should get. We'll be using it for plain old regular pencils and colored pencils (Crayola and Prismacolor). What kind would you recommend? Electric, battery, mechanical? Do you have a specific model that you just love?

I liked a Panosonic battery-operated slim-style model that we used for years and years. Just quit on us and I couldn't find another. Now I bought an Xacto heavy-duty electric from Staples.com. That monster is great, but just to warn you: I bought two and one broke immediately. I don't know if that is common.

Get a good old manual one with DUAL cutters for everyday use (Bostitch or Boston are great) and a handheld one (or several!) for the colored pencils.

Like this:

http://www.dickblick.com/products/prismacolor-colored-pencil-sharpener/

or my personal fave (I believe this is the one Artistic Pursuits recommends):

http://www.dickblick.com/products/alvin-hand-held-sharpener/

I just bought a vacuum mount Exacto today at a local business supply store. My kids love it but it's plastic and only has one cutter. It also only sharpens one size pencil. I wouldn't want it to be the only sharpener I have. As of today though it does an awfully nice job--fast too. I have several handhelds (You can't beat them when you have to go somewhere), an electric sharpener, and a good OLD Boston wall mount. I prefer my old Boston.