Menu

Runners I have a few questions

I am 4 weeks from my first 5K and I am trying to figure out what to eat/drink the day before and race day. I tried to look up online so I can start figuring out what will work for me for hydration and fuel to maintain a decent pace but nothing seems straight forward. Any websites you can recommend or can you share what you usually do? TIA

Usually some sort of carb-based meal is the preferred choice, nothing too spicy. But a 5k doesn't take too long and so I drink a bottle or two of water about an hour and a half beforehand, giving me enough time to pee a few times first. LOL Then I just rehydrate at the end.

In a 10k and longer races, if it's a fairly large/popular race, there are usually water stations in a few places along the route where you can grab something if you need to. If you think you'll need something to drink, maybe you can ask? Or, as some have suggested that they do for their regular running routes, maybe you can plant a water bottle somewhere along the course? :D

(I was hoping some more seasoned runners would chime in here, so this is just one opinion. :) )

I may have pasta the night before, maybe not. Then that morning is more carbs - usually a bagel and then some water. Whatever sounds good really. If oj sounds good, I'll have oj. Really for me it's whatever sounds good to me.

During the race, I'll get 2 cups at every water stop. For a 5K, its usually just water, not an electrolyte drink. One cup I drink. One cup goes over my head to cool me down. Of course this wouldn't happen in a winter race.

Then whatever they have for free after the race is what I eat. Lots of water if the day is hot. At the Race for the Cure there is a lot of food - bagels, yogurt, chocolate bars, drinks. I'll have a bit of everything. Honestly it's where I found out how good Yoplait is!

Longer races are basically the same. For the marathon is was spaghetti the night before, bagel and banana in the morning, power gels on the run along with water, then the free food - beer, Irish stew, water, pretzels. I hated the beer and the stew. But I don't like beer anyway!

To truly carbo load is a hard thing and requires starving your body from carbs for a week and then 2 days of almost nothing but carbs. (This is what I was told years ago!) But pasta the night before makes me feel good. Just don't carb up on beer - it will dehydrate you during the race.

I've been out all day with kids sports or I would have answered earlier!