Menu

Teaching Textbooks - just workbook without the CD's?

Can Teaching Textbooks be taught just with the workbook, or does it require the CD's for directions? I know the CD's provide the how-to's of working the problems, but if I was going to provide that, would the workbook on its own be usable? This is for TT5.

Michelle T

Well, we have TT 7 and I just looked in the book at the lesson my son did today on the CD and it is the same - same problems and examples even. It is just plain old black and white print. One advantage of the CD is that if you get the problem wrong it does an explanation of how to solve it.

You definitely can use the CD's only for 5 & 6. We have both and the workbooks have not been needed at all. I have not thought to use it the other way around, with just the workbook and not use the CD's. I would assume you could do that. Is there a particular reason you wouldn't want to use the CD's?

The workbook is word-for-word the same as the lecture....but IMHO, it's a pricey program just to use the workbooks:001_huh:.
Right, since they come as a set, right? Or can you buy them separately? I forget.

Lots of kids like the cd's for the visual effect. My kids liked the idea of the cd's, but they didn't like the guys voice:confused:.

When we used TT6, we used the cd's but no workbook. This year, with TT7, we've used both the cd's and the workbook. As another poster said, the workbook lesson is word for word the same as the cd's, so you could used the workbook without the cd's if you're willing to provide the explanations of the problems. Can you buy the workbook on its own?

My older children have used / use TT without the CD's (TT PreAlgebra and up). They only use the CDs if they miss a problem and don't understand why they missed it. They'll put the CD in and watch as it's solved for them. I *love* this because I am math challenged, so it makes it 'mom easy'.

My youngest son, however, LOVES his TT CD's!! He's using TT Math 5 this year and he does all of his work with the CDs. He puts the answer in and gets immediate feedback (the answer's right or wrong) and they have lots of bells and whistles (the computer "cheers" when he gets it right and he loves that!)

So he'll be using the CDs with TT Math 6 in the fall and TT Math 7 the year after that (once you reach TT Prealgebra, you can't enter your answers on the computer; all of your work is done on paper).

Can Teaching Textbooks be taught just with the workbook, or does it require the CD's for directions? I know the CD's provide the how-to's of working the problems, but if I was going to provide that, would the workbook on its own be usable? This is for TT5.

Michelle T

The workbooks are completely usable by themselves. It really just depends on who the target is. I would say to really consider your child(ren). (Generally, for math you don't want to buy another curricula for successive children.)

I have one child that NEEDS to see and hear in order to understand something. Reading written text, for math, just baffles him. So, for him the CDs are pretty much standard (even though he hates the voice of the guy).

Now, my oldest can't stand to be "talked" to, so books only for him, thankyouverymuch.

There is a number to call to replace a workbook that you have used (for a successive student). As of right now though they don't sell the workbook for the lower levels (Math 7 and under) from their site.

I guess you'd have to call them and see if they would sell you *just* the workbook if you're not the prior purchaser. It's worth a try. I'd expect to be charged more than the $20 difference between the program with and without the book though.

There is also a huge difference between this program at levels 7 and below These levels are interactive software that actually installs on your computer. Pre-algebra and above levels are just video clips in flashplayer.

I would definitely get the cd's for the higher levels (I have four of those higher levels in the house right now) even though my kids rarely use them as those cd's are your step by step solution manual. The step by step solutions are not offered in print. I want more than just an answer key for high school math.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest 4boys

Just FYI, CBD has "extra workbooks" listed with TT for $40. It says that the course isn't designed to be used without the CD's...but considering the responses here I am wondering if they really just want you to spend the money for the whole thing. I have been considering this myself for the future and I would much rather spend $40 than $120 if I can help it.