Menu

bifocal (multivision) contact lens?

I had an interesting visit at the eye doc today. Typing with dilated eyes is also interesting!!

The eye doc sent me home with a trial pair of multivision/bifocal contacts. I have been wearing monovision for a few years but my prescriptions are getting more and more apart so it is harder to "balance".

Are the bifocal contacts difficult to get used to? The contact tech said to give them at least 3 days trial and to start first thing tomorrow morning.

She sent me home wearing a different prescription for monovision to try too. So far, I like this change pretty good, but my eyes are still very dilated. It appears to be better than the prescription I wore into the office anyway. But, my eyes are still pretty big so it is too soon to tell if this is a good fit or not.

If this doesnt work, my only option for clear vision will be multifocal lens. Any advice??

I would love, love, love to be able to wear bifocal contacts. Unfortunately they won't work for one eye.

I'd worn bifocal glasses before trying on the contacts so it was no big deal. But I wouldn't think it wouldn't be any more difficult to get used to bifocal contacts than it would be for glasses.

they are gas permeable.

From what I understand, the soft lenses are somewhat less effective then the gas perms.

They are very comfortable, and so far they are working well for me.

I tried the monovision lenses too; I like the bifocals better. they weren't difficult to get used to at all :001_smile:

Did you have any trouble going from bright light to low light?? The doc and the contact lens tech kept warning me about "transitioning to changing light". I put them in tomorrow morning. They said to wear them for 3 days before committing to them (or not). So far the new monovision prescription is okay. Not thrilling, but much better than the old ones. So, if the bifocals are a bust, at least I can have an option.

for bifocals only? I would love to wear them if that is an option. I wear progressive lenses because mine are so bad I can't see you if I am even an arms length away. Very frustrating. I have perfect distance vision.

Lora in NC

Oh my!!! I can see! So far so good! I have the best vision I have had in over a year. The lens are not as comfortable as my old ones, but the clarity of vision!!! Oh happy day! I can cross stitch and weave and quilt and knit again!!! These things are amazing!!!

Yeah!

I love mine too - they were fitted using a computerized program that took very specific measurements to ensure a comfortable fit, and they are the most comfortable lenses I have ever worn. If you can get a comfortable fit - they may be a great solution for you!

My vision is similar to yours - blind as a proverbial bat without my lenses / glasses, but they are working very well for me. My glasses are progressive lenses; from what my eye doctor said, the key is to get gas permeable lenses, not soft contacts because visual acuity is better with gas perms.

I tried them a year ago and decided I wasn't quite ready for them. I tried them again this year and the first pair was o.k. but my doctor told me there are other brands if I want to try another kind. I am now wearing Pro-Clear and love them. They are much more comfortable than the first brand I tried. (Can't remember which brand.) If you see a doctor who gives free trial pairs, ask to try a different brand after two weeks so you can compare. The last pair felt too "thick" or something and since I have worn contacts for over 30 years I knew what I was talking about. Eventually I will need reading glasses also but these will be a nice intermediate remedy.

ELaurie - what brand do you wear? My trials are ProClear.

I think I was spoiled with Air Optic O2 - they were the most comfortable lens I have ever worn (30 years wearing experience to back it up too!).

I am pleased with the cost too - they are just $5/box more than the ones I used to wear. I plan or either ordering Mon or trying a different brand if there is a more comfortable pair out there.

I had an interesting visit at the eye doc today. Typing with dilated eyes is also interesting!!

The eye doc sent me home with a trial pair of multivision/bifocal contacts. I have been wearing monovision for a few years but my prescriptions are getting more and more apart so it is harder to "balance".

Are the bifocal contacts difficult to get used to? The contact tech said to give them at least 3 days trial and to start first thing tomorrow morning.

She sent me home wearing a different prescription for monovision to try too. So far, I like this change pretty good, but my eyes are still very dilated. It appears to be better than the prescription I wore into the office anyway. But, my eyes are still pretty big so it is too soon to tell if this is a good fit or not.

If this doesnt work, my only option for clear vision will be multifocal lens. Any advice??

I went through the same thing as you about a year and a half ago. I wore single vision soft contacts for over 20 years, but when I reached my 40s, I went to monovision. I LOVED monovision, but over the next few years, it became more and more difficult to get the near vision right. So I went to multifocal. I was told it could take up to a couple of weeks to get used to them, but in reality, it was only a day or two. The prescription wasn't quite right, though, so I tried a couple more. I've heard that it can take some time and patience to get the prescription right, but that once you do, it's great! However, before I got to that point, I suddenly developed an allergy to the make-up I'd worn for YEARS, and had to stop wearing contacts of any kind and wear glasses instead. That was a year and a half ago, and I'm still wearing my glasses. I just decided that the glasses were more hassle-free. I think I might try contacts again sometime, but for now, I'm okay with my glasses (progressive lenses).