Menu

LFC, Latin Prep, or Henle after LC 2?

LillianinAL

Hi, I am still trying to figure out Latin for next year for dss 12.5 and 11 after LC2. I need something strong, interesting, and not a lot of teacher-intensive time. I can study ahead, though. Would you recommend LFC, Latin Prep, or Henle, and which level to begin with? My boys are pretty firm in Latin, but I haven't learned it as well as they have.

Thanks, Lillian

Hi, I am still trying to figure out Latin for next year for dss 12.5 and 11 after LC2. I need something strong, interesting, and not a lot of teacher-intensive time. I can study ahead, though. Would you recommend LFC, Latin Prep, or Henle, and which level to begin with? My boys are pretty firm in Latin, but I haven't learned it as well as they have.

Thanks, Lillian

Henle was great for me to learn with, but overall I recommend Latin Prep. It's rigorous, but it's more interesting than Henle.

Another option (and what I'm planning) is to become a beta tester for Memoria Press's Second Form Latin. Second Form is the second part of their forthcoming 4 part series. It is coming out this fall for beta testing. You can certainly go into Henle but Second Form is supposed to be much, much easier to teach and learn. Different than LCII in that there are more practice pages for each lesson. Second Form will have "bridge" lessons to get LCII users caught up, as First Form covers some things not used in LCII.

I agree with previous poster that LFC would probably cover the same material that LC did. My dd is using LFC-A and I'm considering switching to Latin Prep next year. We haven't used it, so I am not an expert, but my impression is that it covers the same type of material as LC & LFC. Perhaps the Level 3 of LP might be a next step, but I'd review the samples closely and possibly even look at Galore Park's next level So You Really Want to Learn Latin. From everything I've read about kids your age finishing LC, I think most people move on into Henle at a slower pace.

I think that you can go right into Henle, if you want to study. You can get a nice complete answer key from Seton. They also have a cd to help pronounce Henle for $5. My 10 year old is almost through with Unit 3, after doing LCI and LCII the last two years. I think they are on a 3 year pace to get Henle Book I done, and hopefully go on to the other books after this. They are also going to start doing other translation work out of some supplemental books.

(Also, if you don't lag too much between lessons, I hear that after Unit 7, I think, you can go into the second book. And, a benefit of doing into Henle after LC I and II...is that much of the first part is review.)

Carrie:-)