Menu

Light Lit - should I continue....

Hi-

My son did Lightning Lit for Grades 7 and Grade 8. I like the program but am not sure what else is out there (similar) for High School Level. Should I stay with Light Lit or try to expose him to a different program?

So......

1. If you've done HS lightning lit - would you recommend we stick with it?

any pros vs cons?

2. What other similar programs are out there that I'm not aware of yet?

Thanks,

Myra

We did LL7 and LL8 last year with our 7th & 8th grade boys, and greatly enjoyed it and got a lot out of it. This year, the boys are 8th and 9th grades and we are really enjoying Literary Lessons from the Lord of the Rings. It's been good timing to do LLftLotR this year, as it has complimented the ancient classics (Epic of Gilgamesh; The Iliad; The Odyssey; some Greek myths; etc.) we're doing in the read/discuss together method of The Well Trained Mind. Next year we'll be back to LL (LL8 for the 9th grader; LL British packs for the 10th grader).

LLftLotR can be done independently (as the LL7 and LL8). It has less writing, and the worksheets are more of the "fill in the blank" for either comprehension questions of "what happened" in each chapter, and for the vocabulary. However, the notes and questions for each chapter are great, plus the 12 additional units are very worthwhile. If your student really likes Lord of the Rings, you may want to consider LLftLotR.

One other option is the Sonlight British Lit. year. It's a great reading list; don't know how the teaching notes and writing assignments compare to the high school levels of Lightning Lit., though.

Enjoy your literature journey through high school! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I know that LL7 and LL8 have workbook exercises to re-enforce the literary lessons....looking at the high school samples, I don't see exercises relating to the literary terms. I am afraid my dd would just skim through it and I would never know if she really understood. Has anyone used the upper levels?

Thanks,

Marcie

Marcie,

There are comprehension questions in the American Lit programs, but not really any for literary techniques. My dd and I read that part together, discuss, and look for examples elsewhere (for instance alliteration in poetry). If we didn't discuss it, she would probably read and forget!

Veronica