Menu

Devotional for reluctantly Christian, deep-thinking 9 yo boy? Help!

msjones

My 9 year-old son is very bookish, likes to sit and think about things, and seems a bit put off by anyone attempting to teach him about Christian faith. We've maybe promoted that by telling him that, while we hope he'll become a Christian, he needs to make his own decisions about what he believes. That appeals to him, and he has a lot of questions.

So, I'm looking for a devotional or apologetics-type book that's appropriate for a 9 year-old boy. He reads confidently, and wants to think about the 'big questions.' (i.e. Why do people suffer if God loves them, creation vs/alongside science, why do we trust the Bible, stuff like that)

A lot of what we have (Bible stuff from early Sonlight cores) he sees as "for little kids." Any suggestions?

I'd recommend some of the books written by Lee Strobel. They are written for mid/upper elementary students.

The three that would help your son with those big questions are The Case for Faith for Kids, The Case for a Creator for Kids, and The Case for Christ for Kids.

Blessings,

Laura

It's called Big Truths for Young Hearts. I just got it in yesterday, but I like what I've read so far. It addresses all the questions you just mentioned.

The author is professor of Theology at Southern Baptist Theological Seminary. When his daughters were young, he would spend time with them discussing what he taught in his Theology classes at a level they could understand. The book grew out of those discussions.

I don't know what your family's denominational background is. Southern Seminary is obviously Baptist, and they tend to fall on the Calvinist end of the spectrum.

I'd recommend some of the books written by Lee Strobel. They are written for mid/upper elementary students.

The three that would help your son with those big questions are The Case for Faith for Kids, The Case for a Creator for Kids, and The Case for Christ for Kids.

Blessings,

Laura

These are good books. You might want to compare them to the student version of these books. My son was 10 when he read the student version and was able to understand them well. He didn't want anymore "kid" books. My ds sounds a lot like yours! He just really wants to understand things before he will fully believe. I was a little worried about him for some time, but he seems to have a stronger faith after going through some struggles with it all.

My ds has also read some of Ken Ham's books. I think they were called Did Eve Really Have an Extra Rib? and Did Adam Have a Belly Button? They both answer some of the harder questions that kids have about the Bible.

These are good books. You might want to compare them to the student version of these books. My son was 10 when he read the student version and was able to understand them well. He didn't want anymore "kid" books. My ds sounds a lot like yours! He just really wants to understand things before he will fully believe. I was a little worried about him for some time, but he seems to have a stronger faith after going through some struggles with it all.

My ds has also read some of Ken Ham's books. I think they were called Did Eve Really Have an Extra Rib? and Did Adam Have a Belly Button? They both answer some of the harder questions that kids have about the Bible.

Yup, our boys sound very similar. I'm hoping to be able to meet his needs; the simple Bible stories, perky worship songs, and group prayer time at Sunday School don't seem to be what he's needing. (My other son LOVES all that stuff! He seems much easier sometimes...)

Thanks everyone, for the suggestions. I recently read an adult Stroebel book and really enjoyed it. So, I'll now be heading to Amazon to do some shopping. ;)

Blessings,

Laura

:iagree:

Yes! I love these books and my son loves them too. My son had more of a "Jesus rocks! I'm in!" attitude, but he loves facts and Lee Strobel's explanations, especially as he was trying to explain Jesus to his friends in PS.

an unconverted child? The root "devotion" in devotional would imply devotion to God, and perhaps your child is just not there yet. I don't believe in forcing, pushing, or shoving apologetics books down people who are unconverted, as it may only serve to harden the heart and innoculate them. Worse, it may give them a false sense of conversion, when they really know Bible facts, rather than the Author, kwim?

As a parent, God asks us to teach our children the ways of the Lord and His commandments. Trust God to use that in your child's life at the right time. It is His work, not ours. 9 is really young - plant the seed of the word, and trust the Lord with the harvest, whether that be in a year, 5 years, or 15 years.

I really would take a pass on apologetics and concentrate on two things: Biblical literacy and memorizing portions of Scripture. LARGE portions, if your son is bright. Do not pressure him for analyzation, application, and such -- just sow, sow, sow. Basically, do not ask him to be a Christian, without the conversion part. The last thing you want to raise is a self-righteous Pharisee. Resist the urge to put the pressure on him, or measure your own Christian walk by whether your son is converted or not. Conversion is a work of the Spirit, and nothing you can force through pressure.

Also, work on your own relationship with the Lord, and show your child God's ways as you deal with him. Yes, we will fall short, but my prayer is that God's grace would cover my inadequacies, and that I would not be a stumbling block in ANY way for my child's relationship with God.

May the Lord bless you abundantly in your mothering!