Menu

Scheduling and managing two

yeah, just two--but we seem to be spending all day on just our morning subjects and I'm wondering how I might be more efficient with them. Here's what we do, now.

Bible Study, including recitation of Bible verses. We just started this back up again: it doesn't take long.

Then we have either Latin or spelling (SWR) together.

For Latin, I send one child to the computer to practice their vocabulary while the other does the drill sheets. Then we do our lesson together.

Spelling, I've posted about before. When I give adictation "lesson" it takes an hour. I've tried and tried to make it less, but it just doesn't happen. I don't know why. When I test, it takes 1/2 hour, at least. We usually only do one list a week because of this foolishness--so "formal" spelling is only 2x a week.

The rest of the morning subjects are independent--and here is where I get into trouble. I switch off math, grammar and Composition (Classical Writing which has the workbook component and the writing bit. Right now, We're doing both on the same day.)

We do grammar orally (Rod and Staff) and I usually assign something written which takes all of ten minutes. Then I teach someone Math if it's a teaching day. Then I'm doing two separate Classical Writing Core's with each: My son is in Homer--we're on week three--for the second week in a row. I like to do their initial narrations with them, but they've been wanting to do them by themselves. The first draft can take quite a long time when I allow it. My daughter is just about finished Aesop A.

This has been taking ALL DAY. (Well starting at 10 and ending at 4--I call that a day.) There is music practice, too, and lunch and chores....but, it's getting demoralising. Our afternoon subjects are the fun stuff--the history and scienc and read alouds--and it isn't gtting done 'cos by 4 I have to make dinner--and then, franky, I'm just too tired. My daughter is very verbal and extremely sociable. It's wearing.

Anyway, suggestions much appreciated. Thanks!

Edited by Alana in Canada

Can they do there spelling orally most of the time? It takes a lot less time to spell orally than to write the words.

If you want to do written spelling, you could save spelling for the end and have them drill each other so if they want to take all day it's their time, not yours! I feed my daughter no matter what she has done for the day, but I do withhold dessert, park visits, and computer/movie time. I have friends that don't serve lunch until their children are done with school. (They leave independent stuff for the end, no finish, no eat!) If there is no incentive for them to finish quickly, why finish quickly?

Edited by ElizabethB

Spelling, I've posted about before. When I give adictation "lesson" it takes an hour.

This has been taking ALL DAY. (Well starting at 10 and ending at 4--I call that a day.) There is music practice, too, and lunch and chores....but, it's getting demoralising. Our afternoon subjects are the fun stuff--the history and scienc and read alouds--and it isn't gtting done 'cos by 4 I have to make dinner--and then, franky, I'm just too tired.

Hmmm,

I have 4, start at 9 and "officially" end at 4-ish -- though there are usually another 2 hours spent in the evening with one of the older boys.

I'm not quite understanding the spelling. . . It looks as if you give the spelling words in dictation and then do a test. How about breaking it down? Say you have 12 weekly words. (Okay, so I used that number so as to not stress my brain with math yet today.) Mon-Thurs. dictate only 3 sentences and orally recite the rest (9). You limit the amount of time you are spending on dictation, but still get it done in the week.

I know a great number of people that do read-alouds in the evening. More specifically, they give that job over to their spouse. (I think that's a fabulous idea, but can't guarantee my spouse will be here every evening so it makes it tough for us.)

Take a day to actually time activities. (A week's worth of this is actually better.) And I mean EVERY activity, not just school stuff. I did this once and it was a huge eye opener to me as to where the time was actually spent as opposed to where I thought it was being spent.

I'm sorry, as I'm not much help. However, I can tell you that you are not the only one that feels this way!

I know my kids are a lot younger, so this may not work for you but it worked for me all throughout school and even today.

I have started giving them a list of what they need to do that day, including workbook pages, textbook pages, and any reading, online stuff, projects, etc.

They seem to do better if they know what is expected and when they are done for the day. They like getting to use a highlighter to color in the items as they finish them.

I also tend to give them incentives on days when they need it. If they get everything done by x time, we will go have a picnic at the park, etc.

Oh, one other thing. We have a ticket system that has really worked well for our family. I bought one of those big rolls of tickets (2000 tickets for $3?) from Wal-Mart and a bunch of prizes ($5 each or less). When someone has earned 100 tickets, we take out the treasure chest and they can choose 1 thing.

They earn tickets 1 at a time for things like one math lesson (30 min), one grammar session (10-15 min), cleaning their room including making bed, vacuuming, clear floor, going above and beyond (for example, if someone cleans the living room without being asked), etc. Tickets can also be taken away for things like fighting, obnoxious behavior, or disobedience. Usually, threatening to take a ticket wakes them up, but once in a while I do take one.

Good luck!

My "students" are almost the same ages as yours. I don't know if it would help, but I've started giving homework, particularly if it is independent-type work. I have set times when we need to be done -- not set times for each subject, but for example we need to be done with morning subjects by 12.30-ish. If I can see that it's taking them longer than it should to, for example, finish their math page, I cut them off and tell them they have to finish it later on their own time.

We don't really have a set-in-stone start time, but for example, if we started at 10... we also start with religious studies, about 10-15 minutes. Then Arabic for about half an hour; I get my older started then work with my younger. If I feel it's dragging, I'll stop and say "ok, finish up the rest tonight" and we move on.

Of course, this also means I have to remind them at night to do their homework, but usually they don't balk and get right on it. This has worked really well for us this year.

Alana, have you tried just setting a timer?

For my sanity I have started using a timer and having smaller lesson times. My kids are 10, 7, and 5. My 5 yr old does a little bit of time in phonics and math but no biggie,then she listens in on our HOD work. But, for my older two I set the timer ontheir lesson. Here's approx. how it breaks down. When the timer goes off we just stop, unless there is say one problem/answer left.

Lively Latin - 15 min.

MUS - 20 min

AAS - 10 min (maybe I'll bump this up to 15 min. soon)

WWE - 10 min

Anyway, that isn't everything, but it helps keep me sane. We try to get going by 09:00, but sometimes it's 09:30. I like to be done with everyone by 1:00...but that doesn't include their reading time. I do all the LA's and math daily, except on Fridays when I do some of it, but I'll replace some things with fun stuff like Mad Libs, only one math page that day, etc. I've just got a new RR in so I'll have to go through and add in my new stuff and do some tweaking, but this is the year that I've grown to love my digital timer!

Alison

Thanks everyone.

Unfortunately, I've got up late today, so we'll be starting late. I'll do what I can to find the timer! The idea of keeping track of what we "actually" spend time doing is a great idea.

But, you all realise, I have to stop nagging and telling the kids to "hurry up." Losing my temper over it is probably worse in the long run than having endless days.

But, you all realise, I have to stop nagging and telling the kids to "hurry up." Losing my temper over it is probably worse in the long run than having endless days.

My kids have a check sheet of what to do for each day, and a certain amount of time to do it. I have scheduled times during the morning to work with each of them on specific subjects, but it is their responsibility to complete their independent work. As long as they are not disrupting someone else I try not to nag them. For example, this morning when DD2 decided to goof around instead of doing her math I could calmly say, "I'm sorry you decided to goof around and not finish your math. You'll have to finish it during your free time." Mom stays calm and hopefully DD will learn to use her time more wisely in the future. On a really bad day, I've had one still at the table finishing their work while I make dinner, but usually this only happens a few times a year.